Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 for Cambridge Audio 9.1? any other recommendations?

vidlasty

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

recently I sold out my Acoustics Q2050i, they were ok, but not what I expected.

I decided to give a go for smaller speakers, stands one for not too much money. I'm looking at the Wharfedale 9.1 Diamond as they are quite cheap but they are high rated. We are talking about 23 square meters, and not loud listening.

Will they pair my amp nicely? or you got some other recommendations, that I should look for some other speakers, that will be a blast for it?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It would be a great help if you could explain what it was about the 2050i that failed to 'do it' for you.

It would give a much better idea of what you are and, more importantly, are not looking for.

vidlasty

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I gave some thought to go again in to acoustics 3020, but I already been there with 2050i, and it wasnt it. So definitely acoustics are out of the scopes.

What about the Dali Zensor 1? I read that they are really close to Dali Zensor 3

rainsoothe

vidlasty said:
Well I gave some thought to go again in to acoustics 3020, but I already been there with 2050i, and it wasnt it. So definitely acoustics are out of the scopes.

What about the Dali Zensor 1? I read that they are really close to Dali Zensor 3

Well, first of all, if you have the option of auditioning, you should do it anyway. Even if the new Q Acoustic range sounds like the old, there will be noticeable differences, firstly because these are standmounts - this makes a huge difference. Secondly, I don't know if Dali are a good partner for CA, but you're welcome to try. From my knowledge, CA are bright-ish sounding amps, and the Dali are also very detailed and open - this might make the combo a bit harsh on the ears - but again, you're welcome to try.

Personally, I think the XTZ 93.23 mkII are the best speakers you can buy for that kind of money, provided you have a competent amp. To begin with, you can return them for full refund if you don't like them (which is highly unlikely) and secondly, they have a -2db switch on their back that trims the highs, in case you find them too harsh. It's an amazing speaker.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
vidlasty said:

Re-read your other thread so I can understand where you are at. The Zensor 1 are my favourite budget speaker primarily because they do not boom and woofle like many of the alternatives. Some folks hear this and think they are bass light but I dissagree, they are fine at what they do, they are after all a small speaker. If you want extra bass extension, the the BK Gemini will work nicely without muddying up the midband.

If you are prepared to look a bit further than the usual suspects, the new Epos K5 is only £299, very nice speaker as is, but with an active module due later in the year it should be quite exceptional. Do the upgrade and simply drive them off the pre-outs on your 540, nice upgrade path.

Besty

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
For what it's worth (I'm fairly novice). I bought Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's which I upgraded from JBLcontrol ones which came with Arcam Seperates when bought them 2nd hand. Wharfs are great sounding, look stunning, however I've just upgraded the Wharfes for a pair of Mint B&W 601 S2's which are the same money 2nd hand. The B&W's absolutely blow the Wharfedales away. Much clearer, more bass and significant improvement in detail.

These are great little bookshelves imo.

matthewpiano

Here's my very recent experience. I've tried a few different pairs of speakers recently and was hoping to settle with a pair of Mission MX2s and be able to sell the other pairs I had - KEF Q100, Rega RS1, and Dynaudio DM2/6 - to free up some money. However, a few days with the MX2s and then a switch back to the Dynaudio DM2/6 and the superior quality of the Dynaudio drive units is easy to hear and the DM2/6 get so much more out of my system than the MX2s. Of the other two, I have sold the KEFs, which were very good speakers (drive unit quality again) but I still have the Rega RS1s. The Regas are very pleasant but they don't match the Dyns for resolution, clarity or real involvement. Again I think this is down to drive unit quality. Dynaudio just make extremely good drive units and with the DM2/6 they are securely set into a relatively small box which doesn't give the colouration that larger boxes like the MX2s or budget floorstanders suffer from.

If you can stretch to a pair of the Dyns or find some second hand, I think you'd be very impressed with them. I've owned lots of different speakers over recent years (inc. Wharfedales, Q Acoustics, Dali, and B&W as well as those already mentioned) and I'd say very few have offered the all-round quality of the Dyns. Of the others I'd rate the best as the Dalis (Lektor 2, Zensor 1, and Zensor 3). Perhaps I just have a thing for Scandinavian speakers, but they do seem to be exceptionally good at maximising performance at each price point and giving a very musical presentation.

TRENDING THREADS