WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 8.2 TO DENON PMA 250SE - HELP

GREENWAY

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi -
Have been using my Wharfedales as studio monitors for years and also running my turntable through a mixer to them. Thought I should fork out and get a proper phono amp. Is there anyway to hook up my speakers to this unit?

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I have the same Denon amp as you. Mine doesn't have a phono board but I think some do. Have you checked? The speakers connect to the normal binding posts on the amp, if thats what your asking? No special connections, just the normal ones for a budget amp. If you need a phono amp then Cambridge Audio and NAD do some good budget ones. It would be worth buying one if you are serious about your vinyl (unless your amp already has one built-in).

GREENWAY

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi - Thanks for your reply.

It is a phono amplifier, yes. And I already own it, just getting around to setting it up.

But the problem I have is this - The speakers and inputs / outputs. The wharfedales are active (with built in amp) and have only a single output. I have just been using them as studio monitors (XLR to mixer). The Denon has a L&R +/- input while the Wharfedale just has a balanced 1/4" / XLR or unbalanced phono.

(I read somewhere I could cut an instrument cable in two and use the 1/4" to copper wire... but that sounds pretty suspect to me.... I don't wish to blow any equipment! )

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
GREENWAY said:
Hi - Thanks for your reply.

It is a phono amplifier, yes. And I already own it, just getting around to setting it up.

But the problem I have is this - The speakers and inputs / outputs. The wharfedales are active (with built in amp) and have only a single output. I have just been using them as studio monitors (XLR to mixer). The Denon has a L&R +/- input while the Wharfedale just has a balanced 1/4" / XLR or unbalanced phono.

(I read somewhere I could cut an instrument cable in two and use the 1/4" to copper wire... but that sounds pretty suspect to me.... I don't wish to blow any equipment! )

Stop. Desist, right now.

You quite clearly have no idea about what you are doing. You need to read up on line level connections and high level (speaker) connections.

You also need to work out the differences between what an integrated amplifier does and what a 'mixer' does. Do not try rewireing your setup until you have done so.

GREENWAY

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Stop. Desist, right now.

You quite clearly have no idea about what you are doing. You need to read up on line level connections and high level (speaker) connections.

You also need to work out the differences between what an integrated amplifier does and what a 'mixer' does. Do not try rewireing your setup until you have done so.

In essence, what you are trying to say is that it is not possible. Yes, It IS quite clear I have no idea, otherwise I wouldn't be consulting people with more knowledge than I. And with great knowledge comes internet arrogance! :)

I'll just pick up some passive speakers for the Denon then and keep the Wharfes for when I rebuild my tower PC. The mixer is for the i/o soundcard. Cheers!

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
GREENWAY said:
Hi - Have been using my Wharfedales as studio monitors for years and also running my turntable through a mixer to them. Thought I should fork out and get a proper phono amp. Is there anyway to hook up my speakers to this unit?

1st congratulations on owning some of the most undervalued active bargain loudspeakers out there!

The answer to your qandary is relatively simple. The "Tape Out" phono sockets on your Denon marked PB feed the two loudspeakers L&R. All you need are two low capacitance phono leads, the white goes to Left and Red goes to Right. I'd use something like RG59 cable or if you cannot make up your own the thicker the better is a reasonable rule of thumb. No need to go for stupid priced leads as Mil Spec RG59 and suitable phono plugs will cost less than £15 to have made up. Yes the XLR will give lower noise and they can be wired accordingly if you know somebody who know what they are doing and can solder properly. Here is one example: http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/klein-hummel/globals.nsf/resources/unbalanced_trs_unbalanced_xlr_1.jpg/$File/unbalanced_trs_unbalanced_xlr_1.jpg

And another. http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/connection/images/XLR-RCA2.gif I'd just stick to good quality phono leads if I were you and ensuring that your amplifier has Phono inputs, (It has but only MM)? PM me if you need further help. Andy.

I,ve just Googled and there are plenty of cables built for digital use and I assume that they should all be low capacitance 75 ohm impedance and long ones are not expensive. I ignored the ones with mystical qualities!

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
GREENWAY said:
Hi -
Have been using my Wharfedales as studio monitors for years and also running my turntable through a mixer to them. Thought I should fork out and get a proper phono amp. Is there anyway to hook up my speakers to this unit?

Sorry you didn't mention the Diamonds were active speakers.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
As Proffski said, you could run them from the tape loop but it wouldn't be very efficient. You'd have no volume control via the amp & would have to alter volume on both speakers, which I suspect would soon become a pain. May do as an interim measure though.

No idea why he's suggesting having cables made up with 75Ω RG59 though as regular phono cables should be just fine as long as you're not going over silly distances.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
GREENWAY said:
davedotco said:
Stop. Desist, right now.

In essence, what you are trying to say is that it is not possible. Yes, It IS quite clear I have no idea, otherwise I wouldn't be consulting people with more knowledge than I. And with great knowledge comes internet arrogance! :)

I'll just pick up some passive speakers for the Denon then and keep the Wharfes for when I rebuild my tower PC. The mixer is for the i/o soundcard. Cheers!

You were, in essence, contemplating connecting high level outputs to your active speakers, that would be destructive if not actually dangerous. Advice on this forum is often ill informed, so you might have been encouraged to go ahead, you know, 'try it and see'.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
As Proffski said, you could run them from the tape loop but it wouldn't be very efficient. You'd have no volume control via the amp & would have to alter volume on both speakers, which I suspect would soon become a pain. May do as an interim measure though. No idea why he's suggesting having cables made up with 75Ω RG59 though as regular phono cables should be just fine as long as you're not going over silly distances.

I agree about the tape loop quandary, reason for the coax is that I assumed long runs, and even though the input impedance is likely to be low I have not access to the information. Therefore it is a safe assumption to make and assume that it could be high, a low capacitance cable makes sense and is the elegant way of doing it. RG58 is thinner but the norm in audio equipment whether necessary or not is usually 75Ω. I do not have all the facts at hand. A passive volume control would be fine but again I do not know the electrical specifications for either, and to do that correctly it is important to have both parameters.

TRENDING THREADS