Question Wharfedale Aston speakers ?

AJM1981

They better keep it unreleased for being difficult to place at the moment or maybe theh can by time replace the Linton.

I am already surprised the Dovedale came out, which kind of positions itself now as the flagship in the virtual "denton-linton-dovedale line" of retrospective styled loudspeakers that look identical with the scale factor almost being the only visible difference.

Wharfedale has a professional line and consumer line and still has really transparant segments in the latter for the new consumer, which is an advantage. They have the Diamond line which kind of has the Denton as a step up bookshelf loudspeaker and the Linton as their flagship. Then there is the great bang for buck Evo line, which kind of connects to the Elysian line as their flagship series.

Now the Linton kind of loses its flagship status and could become the stepping stone to the Dovedale. Adding another similar designed loudspeaker with its own identity will kind of blur things into confusion.

Last edited:

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
They better keep it unreleased for being difficult to place at the moment or maybe theh can by time replace the Linton.

I am already surprised the Dovedale came out, which kind of positions itself now as the flagship in the virtual "denton-linton-dovedale line" of retrospective styled loudspeakers that look identical with the scale factor almost being the only visible difference.

Wharfedale has a professional line and consumer line and still has really transparant segments in the latter for the new consumer, which is an advantage. They have the Diamond line which kind of has the Denton as a step up bookshelf loudspeaker and the Linton as their flagship. Then there is the great bang for buck Evo line, which kind of connects to the Elysian line as their flagship series.

Now the Linton kind of loses its flagship status and could become the stepping stone to the Dovedale. Adding another similar designed loudspeaker with its own identity will kind of blur things into confusion.
I doubt if the reincarnation of past models sound the same because of different materials and design. It's just a touch of nostalgia applied to new models at premium prices.

Reactions: WayneKerr

AJM1981

I doubt if the reincarnation of past models sound the same because of different materials and design. It's just a touch of nostalgia applied to new models at premium prices.
Non of these loudspeakers is a reincarnation of their former past. They're all modern loudspeakers with a modern signature. The average review score and consumer score is really high.

Only the casing and grilles remind of the past. But since it is connected mid-century modern design, it is timeless and fits well into any interior.

Personally I like its classic design more than let's say what Kef does with their LS series. The LS50 is a great looking loudspeaker but the big lumps of plastic looks gets with their floorstanders.. not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Non of these loudspeakers is a reincarnation of their former past. They're all modern loudspeakers with a modern signature. The average review score and consumer score is really high.

Only the casing and grilles remind of the past. But since it is connected mid-century modern design, it is timeless and fits well into any interior.

Personally I like its classic design more than let's say what Kef does with their LS series. The LS50 is a great looking loudspeaker but the big lumps of plastic looks gets with their floorstanders.. not my cup of tea.
I owned a pair of Teesdales in the 80s. A three-way design with 8 inch bextrene woofer, 3-inch mid range unit featuring the acclaimed laser perforated cone and isodynamic tweeter. I can't see that model being reintroduced.

Reactions: AJM1981
I owned a pair of Teesdales in the 80s. A three-way design with 8 inch bextrene woofer, 3-inch mid range unit featuring the acclaimed laser perforated cone and isodynamic tweeter. I can't see that model being reintroduced.
As they are owned by IAG, I wouldn't put it past them. Then they'll reintroduce the E models. No doubt they'll be selling for 4k a pair.

matthewpianist

I owned a pair of the current Lintons and the matching stands. They were aesthetically pleasing and pleasant to listen to, but I never felt they met up to the rave reviews. I tried them with a range of amps, including the Quad Artera Stereo power (with the Play+ pre/CD), and they never wowed me. Competent but not outstanding IMO.

The current trend of designs harking back to past accomplishments has spawn some interesting products, but more than anything I feel it's just a good business move for some manufacturers, a way of generating more traffic in a time when finances and changes in technology are likely pushing more people away from hi-fi as it was.

aversaurus

I have a pair of the current Linton's and have tried them with several amps including a leema tucana and liked them but never really wowed.
My current amplifier is a musical fidelity and with the Linton's wow they really go well with each other makes you want to listen for hours .

Reactions: matthewpianist

matthewpianist

I have a pair of the current Linton's and have tried them with several amps including a leema tucana and liked them but never really wowed.
My current amplifier is a musical fidelity and with the Linton's wow they really go well with each other makes you want to listen for hours .

I tried a Musical Fidelity M2si with mine. It was a superb amplifier, but sounded much better with other speakers.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I note in the What Hifi report on the 2024 Bristol show that Wharfedale are to introduce a addition
to their Heritage range with the Super Denton speaker ,

Does this possibly suggest the previously promoted Aston speaker has been dropped ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts