whalfedale diamond 220

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone explain or research how and why my whalfedale diamond 220s are still rated 86db just like previous diamonds. Because whalfedale claim to have replaced the drivers magnet with a larger reversed one making them easier to drive. Leading me to believe that the sensitivity would rise. Say something like 88db or more. But they clearly say 86db still. Not moaning because they do sound amazing and play loud.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
If you look at the back of the speaker it actually says that the sensitivity is 87db.

It's wharfedale btw, not whalfedale *smile*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Diamonds have mostly been sensible speakers, ie Wharfedale know that they are mostly going to end up in budget systems so they are built with that in mind, and very successfully too.

As you say, they are quite easy to drive and go loud enough for most purposes, good budget speakers if you like what they do.

A speaker's sensitivity is a factor of many things, magnet size being just one, maybe they fit a heavier cone, so the sensitivity remains unchanged but you get a little more bass, could be a dozen other things, who knows?

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I see the video on what hifi and they had 87db on the back so I checked superfi there spec say 87db. I bought them to replace the diamond 121s and like those they say 86db on the back and in the manual. But like I say there ment to have bigger magnets to make them easier to drive and more powerful. But still only 86db I thought the sensitivity would rise.

magnus78

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

the 87dB on the speaker label was a printing error for the first batch of Diamond 220. The number has been corrected on their website and literature.

For the rest of the new diamond 230 -250 there is a decrease in sensitivity compared to diamond 100 series. I wonder why since there is a larger magnet for 200 series.

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Maybe something to do with the new motor then. Definitely going to investigate. But very happy with them. There very good speakers. Definitely better than all of the other diamonds and Q acoustics I have owned :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts