Went to the pictures today

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I took my daughter to the pictures today for the first time and she’s only 7 so it was a experience for her to watch her favourite film which was frozen and the new short film that has only being shown for 2 days and that’s it it’s off the pictures for good .

anyway me personally I found the film too be too loud a specially the centre channel as this made my ears hurt on the high frequencies which this has never done this before when I’ve gone to the pictures .

we only stayed for the short film and half of the main film because it was getting very uncomfortable to carry on watching the film I then asked my daughter if she thought the film was too loud and she didn’t notice it like I did but my wife felt the same as me it was far too loud .

Anyway when we came out of the pictures I told the person at the door about it and he said we will check to see if it is I said I think it’s about 2db to much on the centre channel as the high frequencies were hurting my ears which it’s never done before .

the multi screen cinema that we went to has only been open for about 6 months so I would of thought there would be some bedding in issue with the settings but it killed my experience and my ears feel a bit sore after the visit .

It can depend where you sit. If you sit down in the front section of seats, it's going to be much louder than if you were sitting in the rear third of the auditorium. Despite young children potentially making more noise at the cinema, I don't think films should be played as loud as other films for children's showings. Short peaks won't neccesarily damage their hearing, but anything longer term has that possibility.

jjbomber

Blacksabbath25 said:
anyway me personally I found the film too be too loud a specially the centre channel as this made my ears hurt on the high frequencies which this has never done this before when I’ve gone to the pictures .

we only stayed for the short film and half of the main film because it was getting very uncomfortable to carry on watching the film I then asked my daughter if she thought the film was too loud and she didn’t notice it like I did but my wife felt the same as me it was far too loud .

if it's too loud, you're too old! Stay away from kids films!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
It can depend where you sit. If you sit down in the front section of seats, it's going to be much louder than if you were sitting in the rear third of the auditorium. Despite young children potentially making more noise at the cinema, I don't think films should be played as loud as other films for children's showings. Short peaks won't neccesarily damage their hearing, but anything longer term has that possibility.
we was sitting 4 rows from the front and the film was on for 118 minutes but I’ve sat at the front before at a different cinema and do not remember it being that loud .

its not my age it’s purely that they really did have the centre vocals set to high not by much but it felt uncomfortable setting there

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
With your nom de plume I assumed you spent your formative years with your head stuck in a bass bin at several metal gigs....

Generally, though I agree that cinemas are playing the audio too loud for comfort, it helps deal with all the frigging millenials who think they're "entitled" to their banal yapping all through the movie.

Someone post up a picture of those two old geezers who sat in their own box on The Muppets please....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you told the doorman that the centre channel was 2db too loud he probably thought you're some kind of weirdo. He won't know a decibel from a door bell, most likely.

I'm with davidf: probably you were sat in a bad place.

Congratulations on being the first metal fan to complain about anything being too loud in the history of ever lol.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Come on guys !

you can’t tar someone because they like metal music it’s been years since I’ve been to a heavy metal concert in fact the last one I went to was 1988 a megadeath concert which I did lose half my hearing for 3 days before it went back to normal .

anyway the chap I spoke to went to check I just mentioned it as my daughter never noticed it just me and the wife as we have been to lots of cinemas before but never came out before saying it was too loud .

it wasn’t the rear speakers or the L+Rs it was the centre channel that was high pitch high frequencies that made my ears sore maybe it was where I was sitting but I’ve been at the front before at a different cinema but never felt that before .

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
essays_radio_muppets.jpg

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Just to get all testicle, sorry, technical, for a moment, you do know the decibel scale is logarithmic, right?

Specifically:

dB = 0.5ln(P1/P0)

Where
ln means natural or Naperian logarithm of
And
P1/P0 is the ratio of sound power as pumped out by the speakers to the background noise.

The upshot of this is that a 3 decibel reduction, say from 100 dB to 97 dB amounts to halving the sound intensity, not a 3% reduction.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I never play at that level at home. Going to movies is strictly for the kid these days. Always prefer buying online and watching at home. Atleast saves me good money, parking hassles and the maddening crowd.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts