Well produced albums which exhibit the best of vinyl.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dtmark

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm told that Eva Cassidy's "Live at the Blues Alley" is close to as-good-as-it-gets.

Though when I went hunting for a copy the cheapest mint one I could find was around £200.

I have a copy on CD which sounds shrill, screechy, compressed and distorted. Though even despite all that, you can hear that there's the potential for outstanding SQ if the resolution was there.

I may even get to hear it one day. That boot sale where the seller doesn't know the value of it..

MrTeroo

BANNED
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
I think you should dust it down and give it a spin today
regular_smile.gif

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
My 30yr old copy of Clear Spot by Captain Beefheart sounds better than anything else I own on any format. It's a touch crackly in places but still blows me away every time I hear it - no filler all killer!!!

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Just received notification of these

All albums comes with download card with a choice of digital download (Hi-Res 24/96k or 16/44.1k), and are all Numbered and a Limited Editions.

On 2 October 2015 Peter Gabriel's first four self-titled solo albums are being made available on vinyl for the first time since 2002. Also being re-issued are the long out-of-print German vocal versions of Peter Gabriel's third (Ein Deutsches Album) and fourth (Deutsches Album) records.

The first three releases are affectionately known as Car, Scratch and Melt due to their iconic Hipgnosis designed covers. The fourth was named Security for the American market on its initial release.

All the albums have been Half-Speed Remastered and cut to lacquers at 45RPM, across two heavyweight 180g LPs to deliver maximum dynamic sound range. These records have really never sounded so good - pretty much as close to listening to the original master tape as it's possible to get.

The vinyl was cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering, mastered by Tony Cousins at Metropolis and overseen by Peter's main sound engineer Richard Chappell. These vinyl editions will be gatefold sleeves, utilising imagery from the initial first LP pressings, sourced and re-scanned from original artwork.

I already have 3 and 4 (from the 80s) which sound very good. Will be looking to add 1 and 2 to my collection.

Michael Earl

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a few that really stick out for me

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory

Pink Floyd - Wish you were Here, the Wall, Momentary laps of Reason, Division Bell

From some of my older stuff one that always puts a smile on my face is my 1st presses of Strange Days and Waiting for the Sun. The UK Presses are so much better than the USA versions.....Dont know why

More Modern? I think the Rival Sons albums are very well produced and do well on Vinyl. I dont have the CD so cant compare.

One for the (possibly) more obscure pile is Battersea Power Station by Juniors Eyes.......Love that album

knaithrover said:
My 30yr old copy of Clear Spot by Captain Beefheart sounds better than anything else I own on any format. It's a touch crackly in places but still blows me away every time I hear it - no filler all killer!!!

Quite agree. Unfortunately my copy died a death a long time ago. Sadly missed.

the The mind bomb on vinyl is my fave, got that 1980's thing, johnny Mar and Sinead O Connor giving Matt Johnson some help.

Please play this album very loud, very late, very alone and with the lights turned very low in the words of the man himself.

I'm not sure if it's hard to find. But it's worth a visit.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
From memory (no vinyl in our house for over 5 years now) English Settlement by XTC was brilliantly recorded. (Just the ordinary release that you'd buy in a record shop rather than a hi-fi emporium.)

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...because your memory s working perfectly; 'English Settlement' is beautifully recorded with mighty drums and sparkling guitars. Additionally, there's a depth to the sound and stereo imagery is precise. The fact that it contains an excellent bunch of very insightful songs laden with hooks aplenty is another plus. My copy is also an ordinary release; it is, thankfully, free of remastering, remixing and all that other nonsense.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...because your memory is working perfectly; 'English Settlement' is beautifully recorded with mighty drums and sparkling guitars. Additionally, there's a depth to the sound and stereo imagery is precise. The fact that it contains an excellent bunch of very insightful songs laden with hooks aplenty is another plus. My copy is also an ordinary release; it is, thankfully, free of remastering, remixing and all that other nonsense.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
...because your memory is working perfectly; 'English Settlement' is beautifully recorded with mighty drums and sparkling guitars. Additionally, there's a depth to the sound and stereo imagery is precise. The fact that it contains an excellent bunch of very insightful songs laden with hooks aplenty is another plus. My copy is also an ordinary release; it is, thankfully, free of remastering, remixing and all that other nonsense.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
the The mind bomb on vinyl is my fave, got that 1980's thing, johnny Mar and Sinead O Connor giving Matt Johnson some help.

Please play this album very loud, very late, very alone and with the lights turned very low in the words of the man himself.

I'm not sure if it's hard to find. But it's worth a visit.

That is a superb LP - I am gonna dig it out this morning, 1st press too

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hardly surprising that an Analogue Productions LP is going to sound incredible, but I bought 'A Love Supreme' recently, and it's possibily the best thing I have ever heard. Coltrane is right there in front of me. It's cliche to say, but it's true.

TRENDING THREADS