Well produced albums which exhibit the best of vinyl.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Apart from the obvious candidates and usual suspects such as:

Sade - Diamond Life

Dire Straights - Brothers in Arms

Steely Dan - Aja

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Which albums exhibit the great and unique qualities of vinyl, are well produced and aren't immediately obvious candidates used when testing out hi-fi equipment. I want to find some gems which aren't as well known, but only sound to their fullest potential when the needle is in that groove.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus

Kraftwerk - Man Machine

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Grace Jones - Nightclubbing.

Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement.

Angus and Julia Stone - Down Our Way.

Everything But The Girl - Idlewild.

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Rattlesnakes.

Automatic For The People - REM.

Seconds Out - Genesis.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Ah yeah, Alan Parsons is a given I suppose, I have the original presses of his albums and they are all stunningly good. Thank you for your replies, but these are still quite maintsteam, how about something a little more obscure? :)

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Prefab Sprout, Steve Mq Queen is a gem, The Temptations, 1990 is a blast, Fragile by Yes is a great workout also, my only consideration though is only originals, no reissued 180 GM's or remastered albums, to me they are not real.

Fujee said:
Ah yeah, Alan Parsons is a given I suppose, I have the original presses of his albums and they are all stunningly good. Thank you for your replies, but these are still quite maintsteam, how about something a little more obscure? :)

Define obscure.

Most of the very well pressed examples are very well known and hence cannot be obscure.

Also add Jennifer Warnes Famous Blue Raincoat and Jazz at the Pawn shop.

I will not go into classical.....

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What do you call obscure? One of my go-to's if I ever upgrade anything on the vinyl front is "The City" by Vangelis (hard to find on vinyl), or "Oxygene" by Jean-Michel Jarre (easy to find). But your appreciation of the quality of such albums relies on whether that type of music appeals to you.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Was taken aback by Avalon (Roxy Music) when I changed cart last month. Went from being good, to wow! I know, me too!!!

The Grand Royal double vinyl Beastie Boys remixes sound pretty good too.

And a Young Prisms LP from 2012, name escapes me...

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
80s vinyl just sound out of this world imo

try :

Latin Quarter - Modern Times

Tracy Chapman - Self Titled

Pet Shop Boys - Please

Judi Tzuke - Ritmo

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
80s vinyl just sound out of this world imo

try :

Latin Quarter - Modern Times

Tracy Chapman - Self Titled

Pet Shop Boys - Please

Judi Tzuke - Ritmo

I'd agree with that. - Most 80's music is very well recorded and mastered and sounds great on either Vinyl or CD. - Why is it not the same now? - Compressed and screechy. - What went so horribly wrong?

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Define obscure.

Also define 'well produced' (to the OP).

Often what is cited as 'well produced' is in my opinion over-produced, with the producer stamping their own identity on the sound. Ideally, like a film editor, you want to producer's work to be invisible (or inaudible) and to allow the performances and sound of the instruments to shine through. I don't want to be able to tell by the sound who produced an album when I listen to it.

I'll have a think about which records I consider have the most amazing sound. Of course, pressing quality comes into it as well. The best I've encountered from recent releases have been from Domino (e.g. Anna Calvi and John Hopkins).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I'd agree with that. - Most 80's music is very well recorded and mastered and sounds great on either Vinyl or CD. - Why is it not the same now? - Compressed and screechy. - What went so horribly wrong?
Digital recording. And compression.

:)

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Try these
- music on vinyl vol.1 by Stockfish Records (obscure but fantastic music and recording)
- Rules by The Whitest Boy Alive (obscure but a fresh, new sound, very good music)
- Random Access Memories by Daft Punk (main stream)
- Talking Timbuktu by Ali Farka Toure
- Half the perfect world by Madeleine Peyroux

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts