Welcome to the new whathifi.com!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Terrible layout!! I've never seen a more cluttered website before!
And I know you guys need sponsors to keep things going, but this is really over the top.

What (hifi sound and vision) were you thinking?

Pikman

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Wow, this site suddenly got old-school! It looked quite modern until today, now it generally looks very 90's.

The font seems pretty awful.

Sorry to have to say it.
I can see the reasoning as it wasn't too great on a tablet, keep up the work guys :)

(No idea why the font changed, I thought I'd leave it in as a potential bug). I did press shift-enter to do just one line break.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Initial response: I don't like it (for pc).

-Website is slower (just about the worst thing that can happen to a website)

-Too much 'going on' on the screen, making it 'messy'

-Website has a fake feel to it, as if it's one big advertisement.

-With respect to the comment editor: additional spacing between lines when pressing 'enter' is annoying.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hmm, login bar, menu bar, GIANT advert and massive font means I can't see ANY forum posts without scrolling down, that's pretty annoying.

Can't say it's much slower than before, my laptop is too slow to show any difference anyway!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
not sure I understand the requirement for "Active Topics" and "New and Updated Topics", they would seem to be the same thing but only "New and Updated Topics" has the link to view the newest posts but that doesn't show this thread after I'd posted to it?

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There doesn't seem to be any way to search the forums anymore ?

I just tried to do a search, and it just gave me results in the 'products' category.

(And the font size is ridiculous!)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
not sure I understand the requirement for "Active Topics" and "New and Updated Topics", they would seem to be the same thing but only "New and Updated Topics" has the link to view the newest posts but that doesn't show this thread after I'd posted to it?

Wait, Active Topics DOES show the view new posts link but only if you're not the last person to post to the thread but does show you the thread, New and Updated doesn't show you the thread at all if you're the last person to post to it.

Seems a slightly pointless distinction?

scene

Well I've finally managed to log in. The site seems to be incredibly slow - and getting lots of "Page not found" errors. I assume it's taking a while to update the page caches on the servers hosting it...

Not 100% sure I like the new format. *nea*

Fonts are a little hard to read when creating messages - is that thin grey on white?

daveh75

Since you've upgraded to Drupal 7 (I presume?) which tapatalk now officially supports rather than being 'to experimental' as I've been told by WHF in the past, please add support for it.

Then at least I can still visit without being confronted by the hideousness.

+1 on the lack of forum search function..

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Two comments - gripes, because no-one ever has anything good to say about anything new...

The news page is very picture driven - perhaps it's me, but I prefer to read words with the image adding to the written piece.

The forum page (and I've made this comment before) - all the sub-forums are divided into columns (forums, topic, posts, last post). the "last post bit shows the first word or two of the title of the most recently posted on thread. It's not enough to be meaningful. EG:

Computer Based Media - "Best..." Best what?

DACs - "Do I need a ..."

PCs - "Help needed..."

Apple iPad "Watching..."

The aim of the column is to draw a poster in. I wouldn't normally look at the PCs subforum, but if I knew that the thread was "Help needed - battery for Dell XPS", I might be temped in (as I own a Dell XPS).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Only using this on a phone so far, which is 95% of my usage. Sorry, but I really hate it. Everything is too large and illogically set out. Avatars are enormous, when a user was last active is also huge. The 'post title' is massive and usually makes no sense as it is the first few words. And then I can only see a few lines of text at a time. And on the active topics I can only really see one topic at a time, which is ridiculous.

Posting this it also seems the problems of posting from an iPhone persists, yet there is now no option to disable (and then enable) rich text, rather I have to click 'done' and then click back in to stop it freezing.

Can I please have an option of a 'desktop view' like on most sites?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Only using this on a phone so far, which is 95% of my usage. Sorry, but I really hate it. Everything is too large and illogically set out. Avatars are enormous, when a user was last active is also huge. The 'post title' is massive and usually makes no sense as it is the first few words. And then I can only see a few lines of text at a time. And on the active topics I can only really see one topic at a time, which is ridiculous.

Posting this it also seems the problems of posting from an iPhone persists, yet there is now no option to disable (and then enable) rich text, rather I have to click 'done' and then click back in to stop it freezing.

Can I please have an option of a 'desktop view' like on most sites?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
On the 'active topics' page I want to be able to see the number of posts and the identity of the last poster, like I used to.

Typing this, the left hand edge of the text is cut off and cannot be resized.

I cannot zoom in on a picture that's been posted.

TRENDING THREADS