WD my book live duo

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
hi folks,has anyone got this,and if possible can anyone give me an opinion on it's sutability for my needs.

i would like to store music on the nas,then play thru my avr....blu-rays would be a bonus,but not sure how to get them on the nas,so music to start.

i have read that the wd is the most user friendly to set-up(almost idiot proof,and i am no way computor litarate)and comes with pre installed hdd which for me is a must.it has raid which from trawling the forums i understand to be important.

before i make my mind up i would like to read a few informed opinions,so if you could be so kind........ :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Duo would be a smart move if you can stretch to it: the dual-drive RAID configuration will give a degree of security for your music by automatically backing itself up in case one of the drives fails.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, as I said, I've used a single-drive WD NAS for getting on for three years with no problems, and would've bought another one at the time of my most recent shopping problems had anywhere had one in stock when I needed it. I get the impression the supply problems caused by last year's floods in Thailand, which stopped production at factories making hard drives and the components for them, are easing somewhat now.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
the 3tb version is to be honest what i would be happy with(cost wise),just thought the duo would be a wiser choice,but i'm sure my music files can be backed up in some other way(which may not be needed anyway)....hmmm decisions

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
but i'm sure my music files can be backed up in some other way

Yes but you'll have to do it manually. RAID is NOT a backup anyway, it simply protects you against a disk failing. If you accidentally delete all the files or have some other problem they'll be gone on both disks.

(which may not be needed anyway)

Oh Sweet Jebus, forgive this one, he knows not what he says.

Stick to CDs.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Agreed on the backups: as well as having a dual drive RAID-configured NAS as my main drive, I have all my music files backed up to another NAS elsewhere in the house, another at another location, and a portable drive I carry in my computer bag.

Belt and braces? Probably - but the server has a lot of stuff I have bought and downloaded, not to mention all my CD rips, and having to redownload/re-rip all that music would a) take ages and b) be incredbly dull.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
GSB said:
but i'm sure my music files can be backed up in some other way

Yes but you'll have to do it manually. RAID is NOT a backup anyway, it simply protects you against a disk failing. If you accidentally delete all the files or have some other problem they'll be gone on both disks.

(which may not be needed anyway)

Oh Sweet Jebus, forgive this one, he knows not what he says.

Stick to CDs.

correct i do not know what i say.....which is why i'm asking for advice,and believe it or not trying to digest the info given,but its hard as i have no prior experiance of network systems.i dont plan on having anything other than music on the nas,films a possibility but nothing critical....it's purely a desire to access all of my tunes:)

Juzzie Wuzzie

For what it is worth, my music is on my Macbook, which I backup to a Buffallo Linkstation - which protects against both disk failure, and accidental deletion, etc. Additionally, I periodically back up to a portable drive which I keep at work - doubling the protection the above, and adding fire and theft protection. What I like to call a double pair of underwear.

Why you ask? My flat (in Kilburn, London) was subjected to a burglary where the thief took my laptop, but kindly threw my external drive on the bed, thus saving my music and photos. I don't want to take the risk anymore, so take the above steps.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice and patience guys it's realy appreciated.

You'll be glad to hear that i will not be asking about nas drives anymore as i have decided to save for a dedicated and very custom media center...which is realy what i would like anyways.

On another note,managed to connect laptop to avr wirelessly,and yes the avr can read my files :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

GSB said:
i have read that the wd is the most user friendly to set-up(almost idiot proof

redface.gif

I've recently bought a WDTVLive and WD My Book Live, and I'm flummoxed, can't work it out at all.

So how stupid am I?

A

Anonymous

I'm glad I have found this thread! I am seriously considering buying the said WD product and I am concerned about some issues that I keep seeing regarding i-Tunes? Can anyone throw some light on this or indeed put my fears and concerns to rest.:quest:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts