Watching US BDs on a UK TV

mikematt101

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi. Can anyone tell me whether there is any noticeable difference between watching a US Blu Ray disc vs a UK Blu Ray on a UK TV? I appreciate that Hi Def has the same resolution in both the US and Europe, but I understand that the US still uses a 60Hz refresh rate vs 50Hz in Europe, and I'd also be interested to know whether SD special features on a US BD look less sharp than on a UK disc due to the lower SD resolution in the US (480 vs 576)? US Blu Rays always seem to come in better packaging, but if the trade-off is less good PQ then I'm not sure it's worth it.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
mikematt101 said:
Thanks - understood re movies but what about SD special features?

They are mostly (unfortunately) in 480 regardless of area of release. You can look this up, as well as region coding, on www. blu-ray .com (as long as a film/release has been reviewed, if it doesn't state the resolution on the case).

mikematt101

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I use blu-ray.com's reviews quite a lot but wasn't sure whether the specs they quote are just for the US releases. So in general if they state that extras are in 480 then that applies to both the US and UK releases? ..... I'm asking because I have the US edition of the Alien Anthology set and the PQ on some of the extras is disappointing in places, especially captions and titles, and I'm talking about recently-made documentaries rather than ancient recycled footage. So just wanted to find out whether the UK version has the same SD resolution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts