wanted: Big bass!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
My opinion is that a decent floorstander will give you plenty of bass. Mine do.

You can get much better than the Dali or MAs you've mentioned too.

A

Anonymous

Joel what floorstanders would you say would be suitable???

A

Anonymous

I do have to agree with Joel. I think you will get better/more of a accurate bass sound with 2 chanels rather than adding a sub, I played aound with subs a great deal and came to this conclusion. If I were you I would make a shortlist of speakers/gear you fancy then go and audition.

A

Anonymous

Kit wise I dont forsee any changes as I am happy with my CD/Amp combo. I am considering adding a power amp at some stage, probably an A3 power amp (I like things to match). As far as speakers go I was thinking the focus 110/sub or floorstander wise I was thinking MA RX6/8, Dali Ikon 6/Lektor 8, Spendor A5, B&W 684, ProAc studio 140. Guess I have some narrowing down to do...

Sliced Bread

TheHomeCinemaCentre:
I would be sure to listen to the sub/monitor combination properly before you buy. As I have mentioned many times it comes down to how you listen. With the budget you have mentioned you still may get better integration with a floor standing speaker.

Agreed.

I have experimented by moving the crossover on my floorstanders to equal a pair of standmounts by using various settings from 70 hz to 100 hz, but even after careful positioning and levelling of the sub it never sounds as 'complete' as the floorstanders on there own. It's fine with dance music and the like as the bass has more energy, however when listening to natural instruments and vocals there seems to be a hole in the midrange when compared to the floorstanders alone. Maybe this is because I'm using the line level input, but you might want to try before you buy.

That said, you might want to take your room acoustics into consideration. Some rooms can struggle to accommodate floor standers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the input so far guys! This Hi-Fi upgrading aint half complicated!!!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
If you can push your budget to c. £1695, you could get a 30-day money-back home demo on these beauties:

Amphion+Argon+3L+review.jpg

Amphion Argon 3L. IMO, they look gorgeous, they're beautifully made and boy can they deliver deeeeeeeeep bass. For example, the bass synth from Massive Attack's Flat of the Blade (Heligoland) made me almost jump out of my chair. Subwoofer? No need.

Their RRP is c. £2400, but AudioEmotion (good folks) have a few immaculate ex-demos @ £1695 and will courier 'em to your door, anywhere in the UK. Perhaps, depending on your negotiating skills, you might be able to get the price down a wee bit more?

I tried some at home, was stunned by the bass but they didn't really click with my Arcam CDP. But who knows, they might work with your kit - the 3L's had some 5-star reviews. For details and a link to reviews etc: CLICKETY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts