WALL SOUNDPROOFING

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
How much/how easy would it be to totally soundproof the wall between me and my neighbour and what would I need. The wall between us is a stud wall with plasterboard and I was thinking of fixing soundproofing to my side of the wall,can I buy something that fixes to my existing wall that I can then easily redecorate or will I have to remove the existing plasterboard and fit in the stud wall ?

Thanks

Damian

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, you could build a false stud and plasterboard wall within your room, and fill the space between it and the existing wall with rockwool or something similar.

But most sound nuisance goes through the structure, not the air, and if there's really only a stud and plasterboard wall between you and your neighbour - converted property? - you probably have some floor or other structural elements in common through which vibration can be transmitted.

A

Anonymous

im a plasterer and a common thing to do is just to screw db
check(soundproof) plasterboard over the top. b and q sell it. and just
locate studs and screw straight through existing plasterboard into them
. this wil increase soundproofing and give an extra hour fireproofing.

A

Anonymous

How serious do you want sound proof?

You say plasterboard on party wall, Do you live in Tradional house or timberframe

As Andrew said sound travels through structure aswell as air, For best result you will need to have a break in floor/ceiling and sealed with soundproofing,

A new studwall away from existing filled with a sound deadening quilt, Also fit a sound seal around new frame so it cant vibrate through the hard areas where it is fixed ie, walls,floor,ceiling

The main idea is to have little or none if possible of hard structure to carry vibration through

iamthetimberman
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

will be cheaper to get a good pair of grado headphones ... if your neighbour is complaining, they will always complain no matter what you do ...

A

Anonymous

Oops ... sorry ... ignore last post ... never saw it was posted in the cinema section ... thought it was hifi
emotion-10.gif

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
iamthetimberman - I am going to try standing the sub-woofer on a granite block, if that doesnt work then it will be a serious consideration, it is a timberframe house as well

A

Anonymous

The sound proofing should be pretty damn good on a new build house to comply with current building regs, which set pretty high standards for insulation and noise reduction as far as im aware. If its that bad then the builder may have cut corners with the sound and insulation on your property. Im guessing a little, but you may have recourse through the construction company / developer if it doesnt comply, especially as its only two years old. Might be worth looking into.......

You may also be able to obtain some as built drawings and specifications for the property. They would show you exactly how your house is put together.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
One of the industry PRs - they do read these forums - just emailed me to say:
Can recommend these guys, pricey but great range of solutions.
http://www.noisestopsystems.co.uk/

A

Anonymous

I erect timberframe, As good as tframe is i am afraid when it comes to terraced there is not alot between you and your neighbour, Sometimes just bear minimal insulation, All down to cost some normally bigger sites dont even put a structural board only plasterboard between you and neighbour,

Although you should still not be able to hear your next door in normal conditions as there will be a cavity and insulation between you,

If you get on well with next door do a sound check first then look at how much louder you need to go,

Then look at what i proposed earlier, As for the granite i again would lay this on a sound quilt to absorb any sound vibration,

When we erect schools for instance to break sound between classrooms the studs are offset to each other and insulation is fed in and around so sound can not transfer from one side to the other, This is what you want to try and achieve

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
The annoying thing is we are the end house in a block of 3 yet all the runs for the TV are an the party wall, if they had put them at the other end I don't think the problem would have arose, would it be easier to soundproof or get someone in to try to move all the fixings ?

A

Anonymous

Cheaper to buy extension leads
emotion-5.gif

Moving the fixings still mean the wall will probably have speakers near it , Wouldnt thought be too expensive to soundproof, At least only one wall would require redecor whereas if you move tv/power points then you will uproot all walls possibly,

It is simple enough diy to stud wall etc cant diy electrics,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts