Wall Mounting a TV in a Conservatory

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I'm shortly to replace my 3m by 3m conservatory and have an option to have a TV on the wall in there. I have a few issues which hopefully some of you will be able to answer. We will be sitting around 2.3 metres away from it on a standard chair or sofa.

What is the optimum height for a wall mounted TV and given the viewing distance what size TV should we go for without being too big to watch properly and in your face.

I currently have a sky package with sports, sky q and sky go. It will be a brand new smart TV so internet connected. We will want to watch live sports, series from the terrestrial channels and sky which will not be live but we may want to watch say 30 minutes after the programme has started. Possibly films and series from amazon which i assume can be streamed. Can i watch everything i want without having to get a new mini box or will that be necessary? Can i use sky go to cast to the TV and if so will the picture quality by 1080p HD quality as i am currently getting on my non ultra HD tv from sky now.

If i do have to get a new mini box can it be fixed to the wall so that it is behind the TV and if i do that will it still be able to pick up the signal from the remote control?

1) As a rule, a 42” television should be mounted about 56 inches from floor to TV center, a 55” TV should be around 61 inches, a 65” TV should be around 65 inches' floor to center, and a 70” television should be mounted about 67 inches to the center of the screen.

2) You can actually go for a 75-inch TV for 2.3m viewing distance. It will depends on how much 4K content you'll watch.

For mixed use, 55 inches will be ideal.

3) I don't think you can cast with Sky Go app.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I must admit i'm minded to go for a 43 inch model. I dont think that i will get away with anything bigger as my wife wont want it to dominate the room. Also, it cant come too low as there will be a sofa underneath it. Does anybody know what content from sky i will be able to get to stream to it?

Thanks for the information. I must admit i'm minded to go for a 43 inch model. I dont think that i will get away with anything bigger as my wife wont want it to dominate the room. Also, it cant come too low as there will be a sofa underneath it. Does anybody know what content from sky i will be able to get to stream to it?
I would recommend you consider a 55-inch model. The economies of scale suggest 55-inch models will offer best value per inch.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I was tempted but that size will totally dominate the room, its a little too big for what we want. I think a 43" will be perfectly acceptable for what we want. I've always had sony before but have been recommended Samsung. Any idea which is the best t oget? Wont need 4k.

I don't think there are any non-4K TVs available to buy now. Both Samsung and Sony are fine choices. Samsung's smart features are superior to Sony. Compare the smart features to see if there any apps which Samsung has and Sony doesn't. Depends on your budget too.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I won’t say budget is unlimited but can go to £1 k which should be more than enough for a decent one. Happy to have a Samsung. Woyld like amazon prime and the usual iplayer etc. Most of the viewing will be done from the sky q mini box.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Ok so ive chosen a TV, probably a 43 inch Samsung, and need to fit that and a electric convector heater on the same wall. I've worked out that if i site the TV at the height recommended it will be 64cm from the top of the heater to the TV and the heater will overlap it by 25cm. The conservatory will be thermically insulated and the heater wont be running full blast when the TV is on. Will i get away without damaging the TV?

Heat travels upwards, that's how convection current works. I would suggest to check the space above the heater to see if it gets warm.

What do you mean by "overlap by 25cm"? You can always mount the TV higher and tilt it downwards (not too high, otherwise you'll end up with sore necks!).

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Heat travels upwards, that's how convection current works. I would suggest to check the space above the heater to see if it gets warm.

What do you mean by "overlap by 25cm"? You can always mount the TV higher and tilt it downwards (not too high, otherwise you'll end up with sore necks!).
Ive solved the heating issue. There is a 64cm gap between the top of the heater and where the bottom of the tv will be. The heater isn’t directly under the tv but 25 cm will be but the portion that is underneath it is blanked off so won’t be a problem.
I’ve used the 56 inch centre position above the floor rule for my calculations. At sitting position my head is at 50 inches. This means my head will be level a third up the tv in a tilted back position. Is this the optimum position or should I move things? Would an tilt bracket help or is a fixed one adequate?

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I have question on which tv to buy but that can wait for another day. So my two tv options are 43 or 48 inch. Using 56 inches to the centre for a 42 inch tv there is 11 inches below the centre line and the bottom of the tv is 45 inches from the ground. With a 48 inch I guess the centre should be 58 inches off the floor with 12 inches below the centre line so the base is 46 off the floor. For the difference in height of the two TVs, 2.5 inches, I might as well go for the larger one. Width isn’t an issue. Have I got my sums right, the larger tv is further off the floor.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I've just been looking on the Samsung website and they recommend having the height of the TV at 42 inches to the centre. Theres a big difference between that and the 56 recommended above and by other websites. Which is correct what do you have yours set at at home?

Is there any chance that Samsung will expand their range of TV's that have the connect box? Do any other manufacturers do them?

Do people who have them wall mounted have cables hanging down or do you have the electric plugs on the wall behind the TV? If you do the latter how far does the tv stick out away from the wall in total?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts