gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
As far as I am aware, setting this up is to make sure that the arm is level with the record once it is placed on the record. I have tried on several occasions to get it perfect but can't get it 100% level. Currently is level to a point ie: from the cartridge point to half way up the tonearm then it tends to elevate slightly towards the final half of the arm. Is this correct, or do I need to lower it more?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:But of course getting the arm level doesn't actually mean the VTA of the stylus is necessarily correct...
oh dear..what can I do to make sure that it is?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Pardon my ignorance about such things, but just how much difference does adjusting the VTA make?

I'm not trying to pooh-pooh things, merely that I've never tried adjusting VTA, and so was curious...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As Roy Gandy of Rega once memorably pointed out, to get the VTA of the stylus to match that of the original cutting head used to create the record, you'd need the arm bearing somewhere down below the level of the disc surface. Oh, and the VTA of the cutter will have varied during the cutting process, sometimes by as much as 7 degrees, whereas moving the pivot end of the arm up or down by a centimetre or so - which is about all the adjustment some give you, will only give two or three degrees change in VTA.

So what you really need is an arm so far down on the stern planes that most cartridge bodies would be scraping the record, and with the arm itself going down through the platter to a bearing point well below the level of the disc - is it getting MC Escher enough for you yet? - and capable of moving its pivot point up and down by an inch or so across the duration of a record.

I wouldn't sweat it - getting the arm level is pretty much good enough.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
fatboyslimfast:Pardon my ignorance about such things, but just how much difference does adjusting the VTA make?

I'm not trying to pooh-pooh things, merely that I've never tried adjusting VTA, and so was curious...I am intrigued as much as you fatboyslimfast...maybe Mr Everard would shed some light on this please?...I have asked nicely :)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
It's not worth fretting over, it really isn't. Think how a fraction difference in stylus angle will make a diference. It wont.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
gpi:It's not worth fretting over, it really isn't. Think how a fraction difference in stylus angle will make a diference. It wont.I haven't bothered, was just curious! I am happy that the arm is level, that is as far as I am willing to go with regards to VTA :)

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Soory Andrew, but I think you're missing the point. Roy is correct about VTA but it is more stylus rake angle than can be altered and make a very large difference. The link below explains all.

It is critical to get the rake angle correct.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Yes but that's where the misunderstanding lies. By adjusting the arm height you are correcting the stylus rake angle. However, most folks refer to this as the VTA and, sometimes, it's easier to go with common understanding rather than try to reducate the world. Otherwise we'd all be using Millinewtons as tracking force :)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I note the points about stylus rake angle but in my long experience with turntables I have yet to detect a difference in presentation when adjusting the tonearm base by one or two millimetres. The difference in stylus rake this movement creates is extremely small, even more so with 12" arms.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Considering the microscopic variations in the record wall, any adjustment in setting will make a difference. Otherwise why bother setting up the cartridge at all?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts