Volume - How loud is too loud

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been using my headphones more than ever recently. Last night was playing rock music and playing it with some oompf, I guess at about the 12, maybe 1 position. Afterwards my ears were ringing for a good 15 minutes.

Obviosly too loud! Anybody else damaged there hearing from listening too loud?

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Probably! Some headphones come with warnings about playing music too loud through them. The only time I think I've had the volume too high is when I've been drunk!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Had it at normal level for a while, I though my ears were 'warmed up' and could take a bit more but alas they let me know where my limits are!

A

Anonymous

Although ringing will stop and your ears will feel like "normal" after a while. Hearing loss is permanent and not to be taken lightly. I know as I now wear one of these:

BE11%20_1.jpg

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Not for nothing do headphones normally carry a warning about excessive volume, you could easily have permanently damaged your hearing and once it's gone......

A

Anonymous

Playing too loud will cause your ears to turn their volume down to cope. This is called Temporary Threshold Shift and if you keep doing it, it will become permanent.

I remember some years ago visiting a friend in a recording studio where 1000 Wpc Active Monitors were being used. It was deafening and I warned him of the risks. It was obvious he wasn't convinced because it didn't seem that loud to him. A few weeks later he rang me to say that he'd been on holiday and that when he'd got back and turned the Monitors on and to their usual volume position, it nearly blew him out of the room! Now understood what I was saying and intended to be more careful in future.

It's very hard with headphones because, unlike most hi fi, they go loud without distorting, so you don't realise you might be harming yourself.

Be careful.
Ash

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Black Knight:

Obviosly too loud! Anybody else damaged there hearing from listening too loud?

I now suffer from tinnitus due to continued exposure to music being played too loud.

You really, really don't want tinnitus, believe me.

Tony.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
'Too loud' - for me at home - is if the telephone becomes difficult to hear above the music or if two people in the same room (maybe 10 - 15 feet apart) have to raise voices to talk to one other.

Yes the hifi sounds great way above this level, but there is no point. If it is loud enough to make you want to dance/conduct/'play along' then it is already hitting all the right enjoyment buttons and making it go louder is just superfluous.

My old test for 'too loud' with my Sennheiser HD595 h/phone was to find some very dynamic music and play it quite loud then phone my mobile phone from the land-line (and vica versa) and turn the headphones down until I could clearly hear both ringing above the louder bits. I then memorised where that was on my old Rega EAR h/phone amp's volume control and did not go above it.

It enabled me to relax knowing that I would not miss a phone call/front-door knocking etc. If I was relaxed then the music sounded better. The levels were still comfortably above daytime background noise and still had enough impact to sound pleasing without my ears feeling fatigued after an hour or so.

matthewpiano

Your ears are the most precious part of your hi-fi system and musical enjoyment. Treat them with respect. Headphones should be used at sensible volumes. If you are getting any ringing or discomfort afterwards, its been too loud.

Messiah

I find that too loud is when my equipment is confiscated or my neighbours start throwing punches!
emotion-2.gif

But seriously, I can only back up what everyone else says and be careful not to damage your ears! All those debates about cables and upgrades will be useless if you cannot hear the music!

Imagine that.....
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

Indeed, Tinnitus is not something you want to develop. Over time I've managed to cause a slight loss of hearing in my right ear, accompanied by some faint and persistent ringing. Very annoying indeed and I'm sure it'll get worse. All due to headphone use, most likely when running with my MP3 player.

I have no idea what is too loud but I think taking a 15 min break every 30-40 mins or so will help no end. Also just avoid the temptation to pump it up, something I do too often when running due to background and wind noise.

I lack self control with headphones so much I'm never going to buy any for my hifi. I'm sure you can enjoy yours safely though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts