Volume control on 7.1 analog out on BD80?

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
HI, I was wondering whether there is some sort of volume control on the 7.1 analog outputs on the BD80. I'm asking since then it would be possible to send the audio to ex. Audioengine A5's with built in amps and there would be no need for a dedicated Surround amp. But is it possible or is there a way that it can be achieved?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If I understand correctly, you want to connect each of the front and surround channels to 2 sets of Audioengine A5s i.e. 4 Audioengine A5 speakers around the room - is this right? If you do this, you will be able to set the output level for each speaker from the BD80, but the individual volume settings on the A5s will still overrule this so, unless you're going to set the volume levels on the A5s, then set the output levels from the BD80 and never touch the volume settings on the A5 again, this will work (I think). However, if you adjust the volume levels on the A5s, you'll have to re-run the output level setup through the Blu-Ray player again.

Also, what are you going to use for a centre speaker and a sub? I think it'll be a lot easier to go with a traditional surround amp + standard speakers set up personally. If space is an issue, I'd look into an all-in-one unit.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Yep, thats exactly what I want, but are you saying that the BD80 lets me adjust the volume on all 6 channels at the same time or is it only via the setup and one channel at a time?

I would be using an A5 for center as well.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I haven't used the BD80 specifically, but I'd imagine it's the same as other Blu-Ray players with multichannel outputs whereby you effectively run through the same process as you do on an AV amplifier of setting speaker levels in decibels, except it's done on the Blu-Ray player since this is doing the decoding (just looked through the manual and page 33 describes the process).

So you can't control the output volume of all 6 channels, just the levels in order to ensure you are getting balanced sound across all 5 speakers. So, in theory, as long as you set the volume levels of all the A5s first, then run the setup and adjust your speaker levels through the Blu-Ray player and then never touch the volume controls on the A5s, this should work. However, if the A5s are anything like the A2s, you have to turn the volume completely down to turn the units off.

I can't see what you're gaining doing it this way really except hassle - you would need three sets of A5s, so this would cost about £750, your wiring would be a nightmare and you could get a traditional system easily for this money which I'm pretty sure would outperform it. Or, as I say, if space constraints are the reason you don't want the amp / receiver, look into an all-in-one solution where all the connections go into the subwoofer.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts