Voices in the rear?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey

I have a pioneer vsx 819 with diamond 9.1 and 9cc in the front and ms alumni in the rear.

I though the rear was for sound effects?

Do you hear clear voices from them? as I am hearing them more than my front, I understand they are closer to my ears, But I was wondering if this is right?

I have played with all the 5.1 settings and cant figure how to reduce the voice level while maintain the background noise.

Sorry for the dumb question and if its normal than great, it does not bother me, but just wondering if correct or not,

Thanks again guys.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No it isn't, you've either got the speakers wired up wrong or you've got some kind of additional processing on the amp happening (there will be some processing modes that can cause the voices to appear in the rears, you don't want to be using them though).

Either that or the amp is very very broken, but my money's on the first option...

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
What are the voices telling you?
emotion-1.gif

Sorry, not sure what to suggest - I sometimes hear incidental "background" conversation throught the rears but not main dialogue. Have you got the wires in the right order? (sorry, that sounds a bit insulting but I can't think of any other reason)

A

Anonymous

They are telling me to take a second mortgage and buy some amazing floor standers... LOL

Got it sorted, had another play, there are so many settings.

I did this thing that made each speaker have this fuzz sound, then I could adjust the DB on each speaker.

So put the fronts to 4db and the rear to 1 as they were all set on 0.

Sounds ok now.

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Carefully avoiding the obvious 'talking out of your back side' joke, making sure you have the delays set right can make a big difference, especially when the speakers are close behind you. More delay will cause the brain to concentrate on where it hears the voices coming from first.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canada16:They are telling me to take a second mortgage and buy some amazing floor standers... LOL
Got it sorted, had another play, there are so many settings.

I did this thing that made each speaker have this fuzz sound, then I could adjust the DB on each speaker.

So put the fronts to 4db and the rear to 1 as they were all set on 0.

Sounds ok now.

Hmm, even so I still wouldn't have expected to be hearing clear voices from the rears with everything set to 0. If this is a discrete soundtrack I wouldn't expect to hear any voices from the rears at all, unless the speaker is standing behind the camera, if you follow me.

A

Anonymous

I thought it was fixed and its still doing it.

I know this sounds stupid, but... It sounds good as I can hear voices in the back and background noise, but it feels like I am getting more voice from the back than the front.

Maybe its the speakers, maybe the are more vocal than the 9.1's

I have all the wires in the right place, and red is positive and black negative, from what book says.

This amp is not the easyest to use, and have read the manual twice.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Does this happen with all DVDs/Blu-rays etc? You may occasionally
hear voices as part of the background mix, but they should rarely be as
clear and loud as you report. (Unless you're playing a game on the PS3
or 360, where voices do indeed come from around you at times.)

Do you mean you hear normal dialogue through your rear
speakers? If so, that definitely suggests you have the level too
high.

And are you sure the speakers are connected to the correct terminals - it's easy to get them confused on the average AV amp.

You do have my sympathy, as most AV manuals in my experience are not particularly easy to read!

A

Anonymous

The wires I have for the back are cambridge audio ones at 3.00 a meter, and they have a sign on them saying + on one of the wires.

Not sure how to cut out the speaking and more of the action and background.

It was the girlfriend that told me, and now its bothering me, its always the way when someone points something out eh!

I wish there was something in the manual that would say something about sound from the rear.

Or I wish I knew someone that was an expert and stereos.

If this makes sence I will try explain>>>> When watching a movie I hear the sound all around me, but it sounds more clear from the back, but nothing to get worried about, it seems like its all around the room, I hear a can hitting the ground, which was great.

Maybe its because the fronts are so far away (4m) and I am only using bookshelf 9.1's for the front and I have MS for the rear (.5m) and they are so close,and thats why I am hearing the voices ( I HEAR DEAD PEOPLE!!)
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

are you using the plug in microphone, and doing an auto cal setup? i have a sony av and am not having this problem?

A

Anonymous

not wanting to stte the obvious but you have got the amp set to 5.1 surround & not all speaker stereo ? .

Kev

A

Anonymous

kev the mech:
not wanting to stte the obvious but you have got the amp set to 5.1 surround & not all speaker stereo ? .

Kev

There are so many buttons and sub sections on the remote, I would not have a clue, will have a look through the book again....
emotion-6.gif

When I did that auto test to change the db's of each speaker manually, it did register some speakers that made no sound when it passed, so maybe it is...... Wait a minute. the vsx819 is not capable of 7.1? so that should not be a problem.

Not sure abot mic settings either, its like I am starting from the beginning, very frustrating, not knowing anyone that knows stereos.

I really appreciate your guys help considering I am being so vague

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
That's a good point, Kev! If not a speaker set up problem, then it could be a processing mode issue.

Are any of the 'custom' sound modes switched on (I'm not familiar with your amp, but it will be things like Dolby PLIIx, Neo:6 Cinema, all channel stereo - anything that isn't 'standard' sound decoding, i.e. Dolby Digital, DTS, etc?

Surround sound in most films should be fairly restrained - if you're hearing it throughout then the rear speakers are putting out too much sound.

Have you tried playing something with a mono soundtrack - that should definitely not have any sound at the rear!

So far as the wiring is concerned, I meant to make sure you have connected the speakers to the correct terminals, not just the +/- red/white leads - make sure you don't have the rear speakers plugged into the front speaker sockets!

A

Anonymous

on my sony, the front speaker connections on the amp are large red and black binding posts, these are for the speakers that sit either side of your tv screen.

the centre connection, and the connections for your left and right rears, are small hole, push in clamp terminals, all these (centre,rl,rr) are next to each other.

you havent got your front left and right, mixed up with your rear left and right, connected at back of amp, eg, your wharfedale 9.1s should be connected to the big binding posts.

dave

A

Anonymous

Main dialog should come out of the front centre spaeker in 5.1 mode.

where are you based ?

kev

A

Anonymous

Cardiff.

I have posts that say this.

Front left and right

Surround left and right

and centre.

Then there is the old school ones at the bottom that just press down saying speakers b.

When I do this test. it registers the front left first and then Centre then right, then it Goes to RL then skips something saying SBL and then SBR. ?

A

Anonymous

FINALLY.

Sorted, thanks for your help guys.

No voices coming out of my rear, just bass and treble and background noise.

Played with every single button and went into every sub section and finally got it.

Cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
canada16:FINALLY.
Sorted, thanks for your help guys.

No voices coming out of my rear, just bass and treble and background noise.

Played with every single button and went into every sub section and finally got it.

AND?

Come on man, after all this at least tell us what the answer is! What use is a forum like this if people don't share their experience?

A

Anonymous

Mate, I am ashamed.. LOL

I pressed so many buttons, I dont know.

But I think it changed when I did another mcacc,

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

I think what it was...

I put the amp and fronts on, then the next day the rears, and then the centre yesterday, and never did a new mcacc.

Seems amazing now.

Its cool for the voice in the rear when listning to music, but thats about it.

Getting a sub from a mate, he said its good, but knowing him, its prob a alba, but hey its free, until I buy one in the boxing day sales or something.

I cant spend anymore money, after all this.

250 for the amp

210 for the stand

100 for fronts and 60.00 for centre

139.00 for rears

50,.00 for wires and 20.00 for speaker mounts.

The girlfriend is starting to have that look on her face ...
emotion-12.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts