Virgin TiVo Catch up problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So here's a part rant, part question, part observation from a very unhappy Virgin subscriber.

I have two boxes, one's a TiVo. Overnight last week Virgin changed the on-demand/catch up system on the TiVo so that it's no longer the usual one (which is on my other box) and essentially just a duplication of the branded players available from the main networks. So, on my TiVo if I want to catch up on a BBC show I have to use iPlayer.

This is really stupid on Virgin's behalf. It removes a key differentiator from the competition (Sky and YouView) and it gets rid of key functionality from what was a pretty damn good system. It's now not possible, for example, to skip 10 minutes by pressing a single button (very useful if you return to a show after having watched half of it the day before) and you can't drop down a full page in a list of shows, you have to scroll down line by line which can take for ever.

In addition BBC iPlayer does not stream HD material even though it tells you it is.

So, I am paying a premium to have/use TiVo and Virgin have reduced functionality and service that made it superior to the Skybox. Why?

Given how well WHFSAV reviewed the TiVo box is there any way you could speak to the clever folks at Virgin and find out why they did this, why they think it improves the customer experience and if they are going to reinstate core functionality? It is impossible for a regular mortal to speak to anyone on the usual numbers who has any idea about this.

A

Anonymous

After four (vey long telephone calls) I finally got someone to admit that BBC iplayer does not stream HD via TiVo at the moment even though it says it does. I got an account credit.Hurrah. It should be fixed by December 16th apparently..... Hurrah again.

The TiVo box apparently works using the broadband feed, not the cable so it doesn't effect a standard box. My standard box is working fine with BBC HD OD material.

The reason I'm so keen on this is that the OD material seems to have less compression than the broadcast feed and so looks MUCH better. And besides, I'm paying for it, right?

A

Anonymous

After four (vey long telephone calls) I finally got someone to admit that BBC iplayer does not stream HD via TiVo at the moment even though it says it does. I got an account credit.Hurrah. It should be fixed by December 16th apparently..... Hurrah again.

The TiVo box apparently works using the broadband feed, not the cable so it doesn't effect a standard box. My standard box is working fine with BBC HD OD material.

The reason I'm so keen on this is that the OD material seems to have less compression than the broadcast feed and so looks MUCH better. And besides, I'm paying for it, right?

A

Anonymous

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts