Vinyl

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nads

s_magad.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
You're right about Zavvi, John. Up here in the not so grim North, Leeds to be precise, Zavvi are selling new vinyl and also they currently have a couple of boxes of £2 a piece records. The latter is a slightly curious mix of mostly AOR-MOR 70's/80's stuff. Some good, some terrible, but all £2 each. I succumbed to a mini-stash of:
1) Lee Ritenour, (smooth, bland, terrible jazz-lite)
2) the first World Party album, (great stuff, forgotten how good a songwriter he is)
3) This Is Fort Apache - curate's egg indie compilation from mid 90's
4) . . . bur seriously folks - a Joe Walsh solo album. Surprisingly tolerable.
5) Casual Gods - Jerry Harrison's funked-up solo thing.

Vinyl still rules the roost for me as my favoured playback medium. After a long interregnum of over a decade, vinyl returned in all it's Roksan Radius glory last winter. i still play and buy CDs but far less frequently than purchasing and spinning vinyl. For me, it's a more pleasurable experience. My Chord DAC is now sorely underused.

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
The picture of the VW on the record, you can still buy them, I've seen them on gadget sites.

I still have loads of vinyl records, some with pictures on them, however it used to really bug me that you'd buy a new vinyl LP complete with pops and clicks. I used to have cleaners and brushes but then I discovered cds and mp3s.

The picture vinyls are handy for making clocks though.

Can't believe they actually put a record player in a car probably complete with a "wireless". (Radio for us in the 21st Century.)

Technology advances fast though and the portable cd players had a long life and now I have an mp3 player that can store 100's of track.

A

Anonymous

My grandad has a Rover P5B coupe (3 1/2 litre version) with a record player in it - only mono, but it sounds pretty good! And only once have I heard it jump and that was going over a pot-hole in London.

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
You learn something new every day.

Another thing about vinyl record players, well the older types, my parents used to have this hugh wooden stereo unit (player 78, 45 and 33), it was a record player and "wireless".

Anyhow the record player held something like 10 records, so when the first one had finished playing the next one would drop down from a spindle. Now that couldn't have been good for your records.

A

Anonymous

Gort1951:
You learn something new every day.

Another thing about vinyl record players, well the older types, my parents used to have this hugh wooden stereo unit (player 78, 45 and 33), it was a record player and "wireless".

Anyhow the record player held something like 10 records, so when the first one had finished playing the next one would drop down from a spindle. Now that couldn't have been good for your records.

I have an ADC ACCUTRACK which can read where each track starts and ends in a record - it's a superb piece of kit and the sound-quality is pretty good with the Ortofon 2M orange I have on it - it resides at my nans now though - she is currently re-living her youth with it! I got her an Arcam Alpha 8 and some Rogers db101s to go with it - sounds just as good as my set-up!

T

the record spot

The older record players would often have four speed settings on them; 16, 33, 45 & 78. We had an old Dansette Viva (grey/pale blue) and it was a laugh listening to some albums and slowing the speed r-i-g-h-t down and then hoiking it up to 78. OK, we made our own fun in them days...

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone remember the man who could tell what a record was by looking at the grooves? (Vinyl Vision)

He was on loads of shows and they'd pass him a vinyl record obvously with the label removed and he'd tell you what the LP was.

I never believed it for an instant but it was funny to watch and people believed it. You'd see him on Terry Wogan and Tomorrow's World as he's scan the record and say it was something like Brahms 3rd Movement (it was a movement alright)

I was thinking about this to-day and after a search on the net it turns out he was an expert on music but could only guess the music that he knew and also by the length of the music. Also people would always ask him to guess the same popular recordings.

This was in the 1980s - don't think you'd be able to pass him 2112 by Rush.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Gort1951:

Said Man: Arthur Lintgen

Interesting. I wonder how large his collection was? If he had a hundred or so then it might not be that difficult. If however his collection was several hundred or so that would be quite impressive.

Wouldn`t like them to remove the labels off my records. Perhaps they used other copies.

When I was younger I knew exactly how long each track in my collection was time wise, or at least the ones which actually had the time printed on them. Epic and CBS I seem to remember always printed the time. Some labels did and some didn`t.

I used to run a pop chart at my school and could recite perfectly each week the top 50 records in the Record Mirror official chart, singles and albums. Which number they were at, which number they`d been at the previous week, name of song, name of artist and also which record label they were all on. Done that for ages but when they extended it to a top 75 I gave up. Exams and various other hobbies were getting in the way and I thought it was time I got a life! Plus on top of that the music scene started to go downhill and I lost interest.

Going back to Arthur Lintgen I reckon I could pick out Rush`s 2112 quite easily!

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
survivor:Gort1951:

Vinyl - pops and scratches.

Getting up to turn the "record" over or skip a track, blowing the dust off, making sure the surface is straight. Cleaning with expensive cleaners and buying £100+ needles every year. Warped records and a pain to store.

No thanks, I like the 21st Century.

You could go for cd`s.

If an early cd you can have flat lifeless sound with more hiss than a dodgy cassette. Liner notes that are impossible to read. Crystallized discs from the early 90`s which will not play despite them telling me they were indestructible and would last me a lifetime. Albums with music cut off the end because the engineer didn`t know the album (anyone else got "Bad For Good" by Jim Steinman? Dear oh dear. Fifteen years later the mistake still hasn`t been rectified. But don`t worry about it too much, it`s only my second favourite album of all time.) Mediocre albums which could have been good albums if the artist hadn`t felt the need to fill up an entire cd with 80mins of music when 45mins would have been far better ("Jupiters Darling" by Heart is one good example) Albums thrown in a shopping trolley with the weekly shopping, this gives you a nice scratched case before you`ve even got it home. Should that really count as an album sale when you chuck in a loaf of bread, a tin of beans, a Robbie Williams cd, a packet of cornflakes etc etc.? Hmmnn. And oh look, here comes the post. Ah great it`s the cd I ordered. Oh damnit, another cracked cd case and the cd falls out everytime I open it because the little plastic teeth that hold the cd in place have broken! Still, looking forward to the new re-mastered cd of ELO`s "Out Of The Blue". I have it on vinyl and cd already but I bet it`ll sound great re-mastered. I`ll have a good listen through my £150 Sennheisers. Well what do you know? It hasn`t been re-mastered at all because it sounds EXACTLY like the earlier cd release. Still, not to worry.At least I`ve got a new mini cardboard spaceship to show for my £14.

Long live vinyl!

Spooky Survivor! I think you are the one who's into Mostly Autumn? Your listening tastes are very, very similar to mine
emotion-2.gif
. And my wife thought that I was the only obscure one out there!
emotion-3.gif
Call me thick but which track on Bad For Good is cut short? I had on vinyl years ago...infact..think borrowed from a pal..anyhow, have on cd which sounds awful and am looking for good vinyl copy to replace it.

I too, recently updated my ELO collection to remastered cds. Out of The Blue does sound great. More digital friendly with no hiss (compared to original analogue to cd transfer). bonus tracks are Ok but I always say, if not making the original cut then can't be that good IMO. Trouble is, you don't get the spectacular gatefold artwork as with original double album...That space ship eh..Whatever happened to it..Heard a rumour it was buried in some desert somewhere!!!

What else you into, and in keeping with this thread, on vinyl?

Cheers

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
I just found my first two singles I bought.

Mah Na Mah Na - The Muppets
B side - Halfway Down The Stairs.

The Smurf Song - Father Abraham.
B side - The Magic Flute Smurf.

It had the middle missing so you have to put a circler disc in the middle.

I also have a lot of rarrities with picture discs and 1 single I bought didn't even have a B side.

Got 4 from Toyah and 4 More from Toyah that played at 33 with 4 tracks.

Some I've bought from shops for 20p and I've also found records in skips that play ok.

Did everyone buy Tubeway Army - Are Friends Eletric?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:Record shops are all well and good, but we find that Diverse Vinyl are a decent group of guys who will get you whatever you want and they're extremely knowledgeable guys.

I buy alot of vinyl and Diverse Vinyl wouldn't get a recommendation from me. They are expensive, alot of records I've ordered they didn't have in stock and took 2-3 weeks to deliver. They have expensive postage charges but send everything Royal Mail 2nd Class and they don't use Recorded Delivery. I've had alot of orders go missing from them. So now I buy elsewhere.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Pike900fish:survivor:Gort1951:

Getting up to turn the "record" over or skip a track, blowing the dust off, making sure the surface is straight. Cleaning with expensive cleaners and buying £100+ needles every year. Warped records and a pain to store.

You could go for cd`s.

If an early cd you can have flat lifeless sound with more hiss than a dodgy cassette. Liner notes that are impossible to read. Crystallized discs from the early 90`s which will not play despite them telling me they were indestructible and would last me a lifetime. Albums with music cut off the end because the engineer didn`t know the album (anyone else got "Bad For Good" by Jim Steinman? Dear oh dear. Fifteen years later the mistake still hasn`t been rectified. But don`t worry about it too much, it`s only my second favourite album of all time.) Mediocre albums which could have been good albums if the artist hadn`t felt the need to fill up an entire cd with 80mins of music when 45mins would have been far better ("Jupiters Darling" by Heart is one good example) Albums thrown in a shopping trolley with the weekly shopping, this gives you a nice scratched case before you`ve even got it home. Should that really count as an album sale when you chuck in a loaf of bread, a tin of beans, a Robbie Williams cd, a packet of cornflakes etc etc.? Hmmnn. And oh look, here comes the post. Ah great it`s the cd I ordered. Oh damnit, another cracked cd case and the cd falls out everytime I open it because the little plastic teeth that hold the cd in place have broken! Still, looking forward to the new re-mastered cd of ELO`s "Out Of The Blue". I have it on vinyl and cd already but I bet it`ll sound great re-mastered. I`ll have a good listen through my £150 Sennheisers. Well what do you know? It hasn`t been re-mastered at all because it sounds EXACTLY like the earlier cd release. Still, not to worry.At least I`ve got a new mini cardboard spaceship to show for my £14.

Long live vinyl!

Spooky Survivor! I think you are the one who's into Mostly Autumn? Your listening tastes are very, very similar to mine
emotion-2.gif
emotion-3.gif
Call me thick but which track on Bad For Good is cut short? I had on vinyl years ago...infact..think borrowed from a pal..anyhow, have on cd which sounds awful and am looking for good vinyl copy to replace it.

I too, recently updated my ELO collection to remastered cds. Out of The Blue does sound great. More digital friendly with no hiss (compared to original analogue to cd transfer). bonus tracks are Ok but I always say, if not making the original cut then can't be that good IMO. Trouble is, you don't get the spectacular gatefold artwork as with original double album...That space ship eh..Whatever happened to it..Heard a rumour it was buried in some desert somewhere!!!

Cheers

Hi Pike. Sorry to take so long. Only just spotted your post.

My remastered `Out Of The Blue` sounds no different. Maybe there`s an early analogue to cd transfer and also an earlier remaster and the latest one is the third release on cd?

The track they cut off in it`s prime is `Left In The Dark`. There is a spoken intro and outro to this song and they cut off the spoken outro. In fairness if you don`t know the album I guess it could be easily done as the track does sound like it`s ending before it picks up again. Disappointing though. The transfer as you said is very poor. No lyrics, no liner notes and they even got the running order wrong. Been waiting many years for this to be rectified but no luck yet.

Yes, I am a big Mostly Autumn fan and they are at the very top of my most wanted on vinyl list. If I win the lotto I shall offer to pay for this to happen.

What else is in my vinyl collection? Blimey, how long do you have? Few names rattled off quickly -

Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, ELO, Eagles, Queen, Genesis (up to 1978-80), Heart, Blackmore`s Night, Fairport Convention, Neil Young, ABBA, Blondie, Asia, Black Sabbath, Led Zepellin, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush, Motorhead, Rhapsody, Tom Waits, Yes, AC/DC, Threshold, Pendragon, Arena, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Sinatra, Elaine Page, loads of musicals and soundtracks, some lounge music, Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash, Caravan, King Crimson, Michael Buble, Josh Groban, Dio, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Opeth, My Dying Bride, Ellen Foley, Magnum, Bob Catley, Rolling Stones, Slade, 10cc, Carpenters, Bread, Nolans, Bob Dylan, Morrissey, The Smiths, The Stranglers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, All About Eve, The Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Andy Williams, Matt Monro, getting more and more in folk rock and psychedelic stuff from late 60`s early 70`s, Beatles, Paul McCartney, Jean Michel Jarre, Sex Pistols, The Jam, Donna Summer, Kate Bush, Diana Ross, Serge Gainsbourg, Billy Joel, Whitesnake, Joni Mitchell, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, Warrior Soul, Journey, Barclay James Harvest, Foreigner, Michael Ball, Eurovision stuff, Christmas records, David Bowie, T-rex, Bruce Springsteen, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship and loads more I`ll think of when I`ve signed off!

All the best.

Pike900fish

Jun 23, 2008
Visit site
survivor:Pike900fish:survivor:Gort1951:

You could go for cd`s.

Long live vinyl!

emotion-2.gif
emotion-3.gif

Cheers

Hi Pike. Sorry to take so long. Only just spotted your post.

My remastered `Out Of The Blue` sounds no different. Maybe there`s an early analogue to cd transfer and also an earlier remaster and the latest one is the third release on cd?

The track they cut off in it`s prime is `Left In The Dark`. There is a spoken intro and outro to this song and they cut off the spoken outro. In fairness if you don`t know the album I guess it could be easily done as the track does sound like it`s ending before it picks up again. Disappointing though. The transfer as you said is very poor. No lyrics, no liner notes and they even got the running order wrong. Been waiting many years for this to be rectified but no luck yet.

Yes, I am a big Mostly Autumn fan and they are at the very top of my most wanted on vinyl list. If I win the lotto I shall offer to pay for this to happen.

What else is in my vinyl collection? Blimey, how long do you have? Few names rattled off quickly -

Meat Loaf, Bonnie Tyler, ELO, Eagles, Queen, Genesis (up to 1978-80), Heart, Blackmore`s Night, Fairport Convention, Neil Young, ABBA, Blondie, Asia, Black Sabbath, Led Zepellin, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Rush, Motorhead, Rhapsody, Tom Waits, Yes, AC/DC, Threshold, Pendragon, Arena, Fleetwood Mac, Frank Sinatra, Elaine Page, loads of musicals and soundtracks, some lounge music, Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash, Caravan, King Crimson, Michael Buble, Josh Groban, Dio, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Opeth, My Dying Bride, Ellen Foley, Magnum, Bob Catley, Rolling Stones, Slade, 10cc, Carpenters, Bread, Nolans, Bob Dylan, Morrissey, The Smiths, The Stranglers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, All About Eve, The Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Andy Williams, Matt Monro, getting more and more in folk rock and psychedelic stuff from late 60`s early 70`s, Beatles, Paul McCartney, Jean Michel Jarre, Sex Pistols, The Jam, Donna Summer, Kate Bush, Diana Ross, Serge Gainsbourg, Billy Joel, Whitesnake, Joni Mitchell, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, Warrior Soul, Journey, Barclay James Harvest, Foreigner, Michael Ball, Eurovision stuff, Christmas records, David Bowie, T-rex, Bruce Springsteen, Jefferson Airplane, Jefferson Starship and loads more I`ll think of when I`ve signed off!

All the best.

Crikey Magnum and Bob Catley!!! I'm awaiting delivery of his new solo album, Immortal, was out on 19th. I'll let you know what it's like.
emotion-5.gif

You have a fantatsic wide range of music. I recently bought a copy of RAM by McCartney...Uncle Albert!...fantastic track
emotion-21.gif

Cheers

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Pike!

I still haven`t got Bob`s `Spirit Of Man` which I suppose I should really get before the new one which got a cracking review in Classic Rock mag. I do have his first four solo albums however and both of the Hard Rain ones. I have a nice Magnum collection with every album on cd and every album on vinyl except for the three most recent ones, not to mention loads of picture discs and singles by this fine group whom I regard as one of Birminghams finest! Hope you like the new one.

Ashamedly I still haven`t got a copy of RAM by McCartney though it is on my ever growing list of albums to buy. There was so much great music in the 60`s and 70`s that I fear I will never own half of what I`d like to!

p.s. A few more I`ve thought of are - Chris De Burgh (first six or so are best), Manowar, Metallica, Megadeth, Free, Bad Company, Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Byrds, Roxy Music, Barbra Streisand, Sparks, Toyah, ABBA solo material, Stevie Nicks, Jade Warrior, The Trees, Mike Oldfield, Concrete Blonde, Return To Forever, Jeff Beck, The Who, Steeleye Span, Pentangle, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Beach Boys, Eloy, Nazareth, Foghat, Giuffria, Survivor, Helloween, Dean Martin, Tony Christie, Dusty Springfield, Space (french group from 1970`s), John Lennon, Leonard Cohen, Bucks Fizz, Lyadrive, Praying Mantis, Duran Duran, Robin Beck, Saxon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts