A

Anonymous

Zavvi in Liverpool is not too bad either. The new HMV in Liverpool One unfortunately appears to be a vinyl free zone

A

Anonymous

I`ll take a look next week as i have a job to do in Warren Street.

A

Anonymous

slightly off topic, but my mrs gave me something for my birthday at the weekend (que the casrryonesque jokes)...... it was three picture frames that you can put a record in and hang on the wall. The frame fronts flip down so you can pull the vinyl out and play it or swap it with another tune to display its artwork or the fact that you have a rare track etc. Sorry if this is a common thing that everyone knows about but i thought it was a proper cool present for a vinyl man!!

A

Anonymous

Gander:
slightly off topic, but my mrs gave me something for my birthday at the weekend (que the casrryonesque jokes)...... it was three picture frames that you can put a record in and hang on the wall. The frame fronts flip down so you can pull the vinyl out and play it or swap it with another tune to display its artwork or the fact that you have a rare track etc. Sorry if this is a common thing that everyone knows about but i thought it was a proper cool present for a vinyl man!!

I can frame my uber-warped uber-scratched rare DSOTM at last!

A

Anonymous

Gander:crackle crackle pop pop

Nothing beats it hey! Vinyl is still the best for cranking up really loud - no nasty treble fatigue of digital or wow and flutter of tape...

Oh by the way, what is the best way to dry clean vinyl? Are those £6 brushes any good?

A

Anonymous

If you go to clubs you can tell the difference when dj's play cd's or vinyl, its just got that heart and depth to it. You could call it oomph! I had one of those brushes but i was always a little slap dash with my tunes as i only ever dj'd with them. I think there is a knack to using those brushes.

nads

Hughes123:

Oh by the way, what is the best way to dry clean vinyl? Are those £6 brushes any good?

I have been having a play with these "Star fiber" clothes they seem to get between the grooves but make static and leave cloth bits behind.But they get the worst off and then the carbon brush to remove the last lose bits.

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Vinyl - pops and scratches.

Getting up to turn the "record" over or skip a track, blowing the dust off, making sure the surface is straight. Cleaning with expensive cleaners and buying £100+ needles every year. Warped records and a pain to store.

No thanks, I like the 21st Century.

A

Anonymous

Even on a cheapy vinyl deck I find music seems to have more space to breath, to be music really.

I also like the fact you can listen to things exactly as they were pressed years ago without some mupped remastering them for cd.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Good news. Thanks for the info. Will try to get down there sometime.

Long live vinyl! Well worth moving my carcass a whole 5ft or so to flip the record over!

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Gort1951:

Getting up to turn the "record" over or skip a track, blowing the dust off, making sure the surface is straight. Cleaning with expensive cleaners and buying £100+ needles every year. Warped records and a pain to store.

You could go for cd`s.

If an early cd you can have flat lifeless sound with more hiss than a dodgy cassette. Liner notes that are impossible to read. Crystallized discs from the early 90`s which will not play despite them telling me they were indestructible and would last me a lifetime. Albums with music cut off the end because the engineer didn`t know the album (anyone else got "Bad For Good" by Jim Steinman? Dear oh dear. Fifteen years later the mistake still hasn`t been rectified. But don`t worry about it too much, it`s only my second favourite album of all time.) Mediocre albums which could have been good albums if the artist hadn`t felt the need to fill up an entire cd with 80mins of music when 45mins would have been far better ("Jupiters Darling" by Heart is one good example) Albums thrown in a shopping trolley with the weekly shopping, this gives you a nice scratched case before you`ve even got it home. Should that really count as an album sale when you chuck in a loaf of bread, a tin of beans, a Robbie Williams cd, a packet of cornflakes etc etc.? Hmmnn. And oh look, here comes the post. Ah great it`s the cd I ordered. Oh damnit, another cracked cd case and the cd falls out everytime I open it because the little plastic teeth that hold the cd in place have broken! Still, looking forward to the new re-mastered cd of ELO`s "Out Of The Blue". I have it on vinyl and cd already but I bet it`ll sound great re-mastered. I`ll have a good listen through my £150 Sennheisers. Well what do you know? It hasn`t been re-mastered at all because it sounds EXACTLY like the earlier cd release. Still, not to worry.At least I`ve got a new mini cardboard spaceship to show for my £14.

Long live vinyl!

John Duncan

Gort1951:

Replacing the thousand or so LPs I don't have on CD? No thanks.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Likewise. New purchases tend to be on CD (Beatles Love album on both CD and Vinyl natch), but there is no way I could do without my turntables for listening to my vinyl collection - like John, I'm getting quite near 4-figures, and still love scouring car boot sales for bargains/rare stuff/nostalgia trips...

...and there is something "right" about the whole rigmarole of putting an LP on...

And as for the "skipping tracks", I think a lot of albums should be listened to in the order that they are presented on the medium. CD (and even more so digital music) has given rise to a lack of respect for this. And besides, that's what my 160 Classic is for.

Gort1951

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Can you play your vinyl records in your car?

Can you store mp3s on your vinyl record?

The only advantage I can think of is that the covers are big and look good on the wall.

I have Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon on vinyl and CD and prefer the CD.
R.I.P. Richard Wright.

I also have a 24/96KHz dvd quad version taken from the orignal master tapes which I play on my dvd player and it is far superior to both.

John Duncan

Gort1951:

The only advantage I can think of is that the covers are big and look good on the wall.

R.I.P. Richard Wright.

I also have a 24/96KHz dvd quad version taken from the orignal master tapes which I play on my dvd player and it is far superior to both.

I never said vinyl was better (in fact have said the opposite here several times). But it has its place.

A

Anonymous

Although at its best a CD wipes the floor with the best LP there are just too many CDs that sound awful. Too loud, spitty sibilant treble etc etc.

We need to complain more when we encounter a bad 'un.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I sold my old turntable about 5 - 6 years ago and relied on just CD (+FM Tuner). Grim. The whole hifi eventually ended up being used about once a month (if that) because I just lost interest.

Sold the lot and just had a Fatman iTube amp and a little pair of MA BR1's connected to the Panasonic DVD/VHS/Freeview/HDD box. (It played CDs ok and Freeview radio sounded good from it.) That was not half bad at all. The valve pre-stage on the Fatman made CDs tolerable in small doses. Mostly used it for DVD sound and Freeview Radio 4.

I bought my present system (see my signature) over the last few months since easter and decided to go back to Vinyl. Even in the budget oriented bounds of my system I think the CD player (in my Solo-Mini) and the Rega P2 are fairly evenly matched for quality of what they do, but the vinyl sounds far more enjoyable to me. Admittedly I am not duplicating my CD collection with vinyl versions but there are two exceptions where I do have brand new vinyl duplicates of CDs I own. (The Killers' Sawdust and Dub Side of the Moon)

These vinyl versions probably (almost certianly) come from the same digital master as their CD counterparts but the vinyl sounds more enjoyable. 'Meatier', more fun, more in-yer-face, more exciting. I have re-discovered those moments when the hairs go up on the back of the neck despite listening to a track I have heard a million times before.

I don't care if Vinyl is less 'hi-fi' or less convenient or needs more care and thought.

I also enjoyed returning to good FM stereo (with the Solo-Mini and a newly installed rooftop aerial) compared to Freeview radio. On Freeview I rarely played music channels - just listened to Radio 4 - whereas with FM I have gone back to enjoying music on radio again. Right across the board.

A

Anonymous

While on the note of Vinyl just wondering if anyone has noticed the price drop in collectable records on ebay and the like,

Id actually been stupid enough to think the credit crunch/ ressession hadnt affected me............how wrong, records that ive paid up to and over £100 are going through ebay and arent even getting a bid at a tenner or so, im gutted....truley gutted

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Gort1951:

R.I.P. Richard Wright.

Hi Gort.

I`ve got loads of cd`s and yes of course they can be useful and like every other format they have their place in the grand scheme of things. Some of them sound great, especially on my new-ish hi-fi!

I just love vinyl and find it hard to resist a good old rant each time this subject comes up! I obviously picked out what are for me some of cd`s worst traits and personal bad experiences I`ve had with them. I`ve had lots of good ones too!

All the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts