Vinyl revival

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Not another for or against thread.

A young colleague proudly anounced that she has a vinyl based "system" for an early Christmas present, siting sound quality as the driving force.
So what is her "system"?
A Crossley Cruiser linked by bluetooth to a Bose soundlink micro speaker.
I guess you have to start somewhere lol

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

It’s often the way in hi Fi that you can often only know based on having the experience, and it’s no different from your colleague to any one of us, applying a different ‘vaguery’ to a better type of hi Fi that people own on here.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Vinyl is trendy. One survey even reported about half the buyers never played it, many did not even own a Turntable. Vinyl is fine if it has been well mastered and is free from flaws. Some reviews indicate recently that on some records they just seem to use the cd master for vinyl. The other problem is cost many are £20 which is considerably more than cd. Yes I agree cd could be so much better, if you have to buy hi-res to get a better master then so be it. I'm not convinced the higher res. makes any difference.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

BigH said:
Vinyl is trendy. One survey even reported about half the buyers never played it, many did not even own a Turntable. Vinyl is fine if it has been well mastered and is free from flaws. Some reviews indicate recently that on some records they just seem to use the cd master for vinyl. The other problem is cost many are £20 which is considerably more than cd. Yes I agree cd could be so much better, if you have to buy hi-res to get a better master then so be it. I'm not convinced the higher res. makes any difference.

it was interesting the article picked up on people mainly buying vinyl for aesthetic reasons. I suspect for every 1 audiophile who buys vinyl because of the benefits they believe they get, there are 9 people who just buy it to use on basic systems where there system probably wouldn’t reveal any decent comparable differences of the two formats of the same album. So this tells a very big economic story to formats.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What makes me cringe is that when they finally realise that their stereo sounds shite they'll blame the format in the assumption their £100 investment is giving them everything it has to offer, same as the generation before them with their 1985 Matsui midi system. Shame really.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Some reviews indicate recently that on some records they just seem to use the cd master for vinyl.
That will be quite rare because the CD master has often been dynamically compressed to a loudness that won't cut well.

But it's true that near 100% of all records are cut from a digital source.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Led Zepp IV remaster, the vinyl has exacly the same DR as the cd.

Reading reviews by vinyl fans on recent albums, they say the remaster is the same because the buy the vinyl and get free cd or download.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts