Vinyl regret

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
About 8 months ago I decided to sell my Pro-ject Debut Speed Box turntable, at the time I was not using it much, I didn't have a large record collection, I only brought the odd new album, don't buy any second hand but the other day I was in Leicester and went into HMV and had a look at their rather large record selection, well I seen some of my most recent favourite albums available in glorious vinyl, to name a few, LORDE (I love this album, if you could wear CD's out my copy would be), Lana Del Ray (love her sultry vocals), Stereophonics Graffiti on the Train, Ellie Goulding, I am really starting to miss my turntable now, these albums would be spinning on it with all the warmth and lovely sound you get with vinyl, so do I take the plunge again and buy a new turntable and all the expense that goes with it ? I do like CD's and the Marantz CD player I have does have a nice warm sound and I like the low maintenance with CD's but I miss the whole vinyl thing whatever that is :cry:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
All I can say that Lorde - Pure Heroine on vinyl sounds absolutely brilliant - this is how all modern vinyl should - the pressing is superb.

If you get Lana Del Ray - Born to Die get the double 180g - another cracker.

Don't forget to get a new deck! Rega or Project you wont go wrong!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only thing I'd say is check the condition of what you're buying from them. Two HMV stores I've visited (several times) in different parts of the country don't look after the vinyl they have. I walked into one and there were so many records forced into the B section, I didn't even bother looking. Records were leaning forward, some were sitting in diagonally, just generally a mess. I have nothing against HMV selling vinyl (they are a supplier of music after all), but they really need to take better care of it. I only buy something from them if I can't get it via the accounts we have open ourselves (so fairly rare).

I have been toying with the Lana Del Rey ones...

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I just bought a lovely new turntable which means I have a Pro-ject Debut III Espirit, with almost new Ortofon 2M Red which is surplus to requirements...

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's stopped improving, so I guess it's now broken in. I listen to all sorts of stuff on vinyl, and so far it hasn't been troubled at all.

The TT1 is also a joy to use.

Listening to Solid Air by John Martyn on this combo is sublime.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
kitkat said:
What colour ? How much ? :)

Black. Price wise, I don't know. Let me think... Where are you? I no longer have the box, and I'm not keen on posting it.

edit: I am in Bristol, by the way

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard the 180g version of Born to Die but I'd skip the regular version - sound quality not great. That is a problem with modern vinyl in general - sometimes it sounds like they just took the mp3 version and dumped it onto a record.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Does Frank Harvey sell vinyl I wonder.

Dealers bitching on here is something we could well do without..

Lana Del Ray, now there is something else.

Buy another turntable this minute! :grin:

I'm sorry, did I tell him to buy vinyl from us? Did I tell him most of the titles he mentioned we have in stock and we can supply him?

At this stage, we don't post anything as it costs us too much, so unless he's local, he won't be buying from us. So do tell me how I'm benefitting/soliciting/etc etc.

I'm 100% for vinyl lovers to buy from their local independent dealers (for various reasons), which was the point I was making. I apologise if you see it as a great big sales pitch. My post pales into comparison to some posts that have appeared on this forum (that go unchallenged).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
I haven't heard the 180g version of Born to Die but I'd skip the regular version - sound quality not great. That is a problem with modern vinyl in general - sometimes it sounds like they just took the mp3 version and dumped it onto a record.

RHCP's Californication is a case in point, but usually if that version was used for the record, it'd have been used on the CD too.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
kitkat said:
Does not matter where you are as I run my own courier company, black is good, let me know on price thanks. :)

That's convenient!

I'd be happy with £150, seeing as I just spent £85 on the cartridge.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
MakkaPakka said:

RHCP's Californication is a case in point, but usually if that version was used for the record, it'd have been used on the CD too.

I've found spotify versions sounding better than the vinyl a few times - laziness/poor pressing I guess.

There are two versions of Californication. The original 1999 vinyl is supposed to be poor but a 2012 version is meant to be much better.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
MakkaPakka said:

I've found spotify versions sounding better than the vinyl a few times - laziness/poor pressing I guess.

There are two versions of Californication. The original 1999 vinyl is supposed to be poor but a 2012 version is meant to be much better.

I have the 2012 release, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts