Vinyl nostalgia!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Forget the Frenchman and his biscuits...there's nothing like rooting through your parents' vinyl collection for some "Remembrance of Things Past".

My folks have finally acknowledged they're not going to have a turntable again, so have handed over the black vinyl storage box I remember so well from childhood.

This afternoon's the first chance i've had to have a good play through the LPs, and it's taking me right back. You haven't lived until you've heard Boney M's cover version of Neil Young's Heart of Gold.

An inordinate amount of Top of the Pops albums await - 70s-tastic!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]An inordinate amount of Top of the Pops albums await - 70s-tastic!
[/quote] Aren't they the ones with skimpily dressed ladies on the covers?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's right- I remember my Mum teasing Dad about it! All very,very tame by today's standards, of course...

I've just disturbed myself (not to mention my husband) by being able to sing along, almost word-perfect,to Paper Lace's Billy Don't Be A Hero!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]All very,very tame by today's standards, of course... [/quote] Of course. I seem to remember a christmas edition with a bikini clad skiier on the cover. Repressed memories. I like that you can tell someones favourite track on old vinyls. Listening to 'One of these Days' on my dads copy of Pink Floyd's Meddle is like listening through a crisp packet.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep - Bowie's Station to Station is pretty-much melted! But that could be because I "borrowed" it in later years and played it on my trashed-stylus second-hand deck
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
That's right- I remember my Mum teasing Dad about it! All very,very tame by today's standards, of course...

I've just disturbed myself (not to mention my husband) by being able to sing along, almost word-perfect,to Paper Lace's Billy Don't Be A Hero!
[/quote]

OH DEAR! I FOUND BILLY DON'T BE A HERO IN ONE OF MY GREAT-NAN'S VINYLS! IT WAS THE FIRST VINYL I PLAYED ON MY PROJECT DEBUT! HA HA HA....WHAT A SONG!!!!!!! LOL.

A

Anonymous

On my great-nan's shelf which has now transported itself to my house after her passing is:

Abba - Super Trooper

Abba - The Album

An absolutly massive collection of Mantovani

Brotherhood of Man - deary me

Geoff Love and his orchestra playing big war movie themes!

And the Shadows!!!

Good job I'm too young to remember all of it!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Geoff Love and his orchestra must have been busy - the collection i've inherited's got them doing Bond themes!

And sadly, I remember it all too well...

A

Anonymous

I was going to buy that for xmas, but amazon has sadly sold out!

John Duncan

I've just been playing the OST from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on my new Project RPM5.2, rescued from a charity shop in recognition of the fact that it was the first album I ever owned.

Sadly the Project is providing a little too much insight into the 'quality' of the album.

A

Anonymous

I still have the original Harvest label release of "The Dark Side of the Moon" with the posters intact, and I daren't play it because I want to keep it in its excellent condition. Must get the SACD anniversary edition ordered sometime..

I have fond memories of the first Roxy Music album on Island's "palm tree" label, still have that somewhere and give it a whirl...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="WazP"]I still have the original Harvest label release of "The Dark Side of the Moon"
with the posters intact, and I daren't play it because I want to keep it in its
excellent condition.[/quote] That seems a shame really.
[quote user="WazP"]Must get the SACD anniversary edition ordered sometime..
[/quote] Oh yes! I would highly recommend that to anyone. And I must thank whoever recommended it to me on this very forum.

TRENDING THREADS