Vintage Tuner

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
To top of "WHF Vintage Night" (seems that way anyway), I would like to ask if anybody knows a good vintage (ie 20,30 years old) FM/AM tuner. I was looking at the Sony ST-3950...anybody have any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]To top of "WHF Vintage Night" (seems that way anyway), I would like to ask if anybody knows a good vintage (ie 20,30 years old) FM/AM tuner. I was looking at the Sony ST-3950...anybody have any suggestions?[/quote]

The Leak Delta (either the FM or FM AM) tuner blows away the Sony that I had. I had a Sony ST 5055L and the Leak was in a completely different class sound wise. I'm still using it today and see no reason to change it. The AM is poor but who listens to AM.

Regards Ed.

T

the record spot

Depending on your budget - and going purely by the good people at Hi Fi World's "Classic" hifi section which they periodically run (sorry Clare, Andrew, Andy, et al.!), here's a few considerations:-

Leak Troughline II or III
Quad FM4
Marantz ST-8
Rogers T75
Technics ST8080

The Leak is the only one older than the timespan you've mentioned, but it's apparently the mutt's whatsits and they're probably the more readily available in the secondhand market of the others listed above.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="the record spot"]
Leak Troughline II or III
Quad FM4
Marantz ST-8
Rogers T75
Technics ST8080[/quote]

My dad had a Rogers T75. A very natural unforced sound. Most modern tuners sound a bit artificial in comparison. I also like its classic "British Hifi" look.

A

Anonymous

T75 is pretty good.. I also think the T100 by rogers is very nice as well but they are very rare indeed...

IMHO my T75 sounded better than a Sony 3ES tuner I had and they were rated very well.

John

I currently have a Marantz 2060ML FM/AM tuner which I purchased in 1980. I Have recently [about 5 months or so ago] tested against Pure Digital to gauge some sort of comparison and the Marantz blew it away sonically. And it's not signal hungary either. Like all classic stuff it's a rare as rocking horse poo!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts