vintage hifi...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have posted another thread about trying to get some hifi for my bro in OZ.

Does anybody know of some good vintage amps, cd player and speakers I could scour ebay for over here?

I could do with the amp havinga phono stage, as he likes his records.

I don't mind how old it goes back, just that he will get a nice sound with it all.

Thanks dudes....

T

the record spot

NAD 3020, Cyrus One or Two, various Rotels - RA-920AX for one I think...quite a few to choose from.

A

Anonymous

Seconded the Rotels, and later NADs - the earlier ones like the famous 3020 will probably have bits dropping off by now. Early Arcam. Rega turntables are very well made and last because they're simple and well designed.

T

the record spot

Get a good early NAD (i.e. near mint, there's plenty out there) and not one that's been trashed, and you're onto a winner. Get it serviced and replace the capacitors which are likely to start leaking if they haven't already and you have a very decent amp. Consider also it's one of the cheapest ways to go down the pre-/power-amp route if you wish too.

Spend, what, £70 at the most on a good version, £100 for the servicing job, another £100 on a suitable power amp (not many NAD power amps of the same vintage knocking around, but I hear from others on here that Quad or Rotel variants might be a good alternative) and you'll have a bloody good two box set-up that'll ask some questions of higher priced and/or more contemporary equipment for less than £300. "Result" by any other name.

Like ChrisMM writes above though, get a thrashed one and there'll be bits falling off all over the place.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts