vintage amps incl ye olde Pionner amplifiers - ie. SA508

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello there,

Im just wondering if anyone here as experience of using a Pioneer amp from the SA508 era ? Im getting into vintage hifi and was hoping someone could tell me what sort of sound these Pioneer amps produced at that time. A bit random this question but fingers crossed !

matthewpiano

Its a very nice amp the SA-508. I had one for a few months a couple of years ago which I purchased on Ebay. Its a very clear and lively sound with impressive dynamics and a good soundstage. It majors on clarity rather than warmth. If you want warmth you would be better looking at some of the Sansui amps instead (the 70s ones).

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Cheers Andrew. I found the site - very neat it is too. Lots of cool vintage hifi to drool over !

Thanks Matthew. Okay, i guess that Pioneer sounds good but yes, i would be aiming at something a little warmer sounding.

Anyone know anything about the Incatec Claymore ? A bit more recent this one, well 1985 i think. It even has a cd input.

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Here are a couple of the better links I found whilst researching my own recent vintage hi-fi purchase...

http://www.classic-audio.com/

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=vintage

... From what I saw the Pioneer and Marantz stuff is popular (seemingly because they're virtually bulletproof), though Technics and a couple of the lesser names do well too. In my experience my mid-70's amp makes mincemeat of my c.1998 Marantz amp, and my c.2007 Denon receiver (though it's pretty much a given with the Denon).

Anyway, enjoy the journey, vintage hi-fi is the future
emotion-5.gif

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
There is a review of the IncaTech on a HIFI site with a Worldly inclination. From what I read it seems to be a good piece of kit if a bit scruffy looking.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Strobo, great links mate. Im drawn to vintage kit, something to do with buying something that is relatively inexpensive but sounds fantastic. My B200 is a prime example ! Ive found that website that reviews the Incatec, its quite good and lists a few other olde gems -

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

Check out the Marantz PM-94 !
emotion-3.gif

strobo

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I've seen that Marantz - what a piece of kit!

I have to be honest, that question asked on here the other week about what to spend £50,000 on is an easy one in my opinion - it'd be nearly all vintage gear
emotion-2.gif

It's funny seeing the different preferences when looking at this old gear on Ebay too. A Leak amp first took my fancy, but it was a Japanese-built amp, rather than an earlier British-built one. I dipped out on it by a quid right in the last few seconds of the auction, and it sold for a little over £15.00. However, the Brit ones sell for much more, even though to my eyes they're much less attractive. It definitely seems that pedigree counts for a lot with this vintage stuff - I guess the trick really is to find a hidden gem - a reasonable pedigree, but without the price-tag to go with it...
emotion-5.gif

EDIT - When I get round to it I'll pop some pics in the "My System" section and we can compare aluminium-fronted beauties
emotion-4.gif

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano:Its a very nice amp the SA-508. I had one for a few months a couple of years ago which I purchased on Ebay. Its a very clear and lively sound with impressive dynamics and a good soundstage. It majors on clarity rather than warmth. If you want warmth you would be better looking at some of the Sansui amps instead (the 70s ones).

Matthew - im hoping you could give me a little more detail about the Pioneer, would you say the SA-508 is bright or hard sounding in the treble area ? What about bass ? Im tempted to buy one of these as ive found one at a great price. Provided the sound is right i could easily part with the cash.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
strobo:I've seen that Marantz - what a piece of kit!

I have to be honest, that question asked on here the other week about what to spend £50,000 on is an easy one in my opinion - it'd be nearly all vintage gear
emotion-2.gif

It's funny seeing the different preferences when looking at this old gear on Ebay too. A Leak amp first took my fancy, but it was a Japanese-built amp, rather than an earlier British-built one. I dipped out on it by a quid right in the last few seconds of the auction, and it sold for a little over £15.00. However, the Brit ones sell for much more, even though to my eyes they're much less attractive. It definitely seems that pedigree counts for a lot with this vintage stuff - I guess the trick really is to find a hidden gem - a reasonable pedigree, but without the price-tag to go with it...
emotion-5.gif

EDIT - When I get round to it I'll pop some pics in the "My System" section and we can compare aluminium-fronted beauties
emotion-4.gif

Id have to agree with you on spending the £50,000 ! Id be spoiled for choice. A nice old valve amp that has been fully serviced perhaps ? If you can find the right kit at the right price then its good fun this vintage business. Finding the right sounding amp that costs a fraction of a modern equivalent plus one that has that retro charm. Also its important to make sure that what you buy is well looked after and in good condition. I will look forward to seeing your shiny beauties :) By then i will probably end up with a collection of my own !

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:I had the SA-706 for 17 years. Superb sounding. I wouldn't be allergic to buying another one if the right one came along.

Please could you give me your views on the sound of your SA-706, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

T

the record spot

There's a Marantz PM-94 on Ebay currently, still with a week to go and already has 26 bids and sitting at £140-odd. This one's going to go for good money!

Incidentally, a 1977 Sansui pre/power combo went for around £800 a couple of weeks back. Get the chequebook at the ready!

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Ha ! Yes im watching that auction for the PM-94, its a beauty. It will end up selling for silly money i reckon. But if i had silly money i would bid
emotion-2.gif
There's a Sansui AU-317 II up for grabs on Ebay as well, looks in great condition.

T

the record spot

Yeah, saw that one too...
emotion-5.gif
...although I'd be keen to get one of the amps higher up the range (517/717/917). Too many good amps of that vintage to choose from I think. Certainly, given the choice of a CA650 or the PM94....

T

the record spot

Yeah, saw that one too...
emotion-5.gif
...although I'd be keen to get one of the amps higher up the range (517/717/917). Too many good amps of that vintage to choose from I think. Certainly, given the choice of a CA650 or the PM94....

matthewpiano

I wouldn't say the SA-508 was uncomfortably bright or hard sounding, just brighter than the equivalent Sansui and with a very open and detailed sound.

The great thing is that if you buy at the right price you can always sell on at little or no loss.

T

the record spot

Does it have a good bass on it too mp?

Come to think of it, as a Sony Centre guy, and apologies for drifting off-topic, but I've seen a few of the older (roughly a decade or so back) Sony ES range amps. Can't recall the model offhand, but are there any of that series you recommend as a sound used buy?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Matthew, its great to have first hand views on older amplifiers. After browsing the web for a while Pioneer, Marantz and Sansui are very well liked amps from the 70s/80s era. There are certain models that stand out. The SA-508 looks stunning too, which always helps ! I didnt realsie how much following there is for vinatge kit.

matthewpiano

the record spot:Does it have a good bass on it too mp?

Come to think of it, as a Sony Centre guy, and apologies for drifting off-topic, but I've seen a few of the older (roughly a decade or so back) Sony ES range amps. Can't recall the model offhand, but are there any of that series you recommend as a sound used buy?

Its a well proportioned, musical bass rather than a big bass.

I've only worked in the Sony Centre for 2 years (I was studying and working in education before that) so never had much contact with the stereo seperates range and I've never really explored the Sony amps. On the vintage side my main interest has been Sansui and Pioneer. Once I've sold all my bits and pieces I'll be putting together a vintage system myself for the study.

sthomas048:

plastic penguin:I had the SA-706 for 17 years. Superb sounding. I wouldn't be allergic to buying another one if the right one came along.

Please could you give me your views on the sound of your SA-706, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

It's hard to say. I haven't heard it for 15 years and I had different speakers then. But it is very much on par with mid -range Arcam DIVA, majoring on the controlled side, so requires lively speakers.

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
I hope my AVI Neutron speakers are upto the task then, as i took the plunge and bought the Pioneer SA-508 yesterday. I should get it tommorow. Be interesting to compare it to my Rega and MF amps. I will let you all know the results !

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
On my first day of listening i would describe my Pioneer SA-508 as dynamic, open, dramatic, smooth and clear. Plus the most tight and tuneful bass ive ever heard from any amp. Its in brand new condition, very shiny and i love the blue LEDs ! Probably the complete opposite to my MF B200 amp. All for £99. Not bad. You should all try this 2nd hand vintage malarkey.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Yup, agree well with that. My Pl-12d is still providing sterling service in the dining room, as is my Garrard SP25 for 78s...
...and the Dual 505/2 with Rotel 820 and Mission 70s in my daughter's bedroom

...and of course the 1982 LP12...and...and...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts