Views from those who have seen 3D TV...

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
After reading Clare's blog about the Sony TV on demo at Harrods I decided to go in and have a look for myself seeing as I had some free time today. I've been intrigued by the idea of 3D but very much on the fence about the whole thing and, as such, I've been firmly reserving judgement until I could see it first hand and formulate my own opinions. Now that I've seen it I look forward to sharing thoughts with others that have seen it first hand.

First off, I have to say I was impressed. When I first put the glasses on I found it hard at first to focus as I was getting a bit of flickering and double imaging like I do when I use the polarising specs in the theatre, but this must have been to do with the glasses needing to sync back up after losing line of sight because after a few moments it became a rock-solid picture with amazing definition. It absolutely knocked out any of the 3D films I've seen in the cinema for picture quality, strength of the 3D image (even standing at the back of a small crowd with the image only using =10º of my field of vision), and comfort. Once the glasses locked sync I didn't feel any strain on my eyes and I suffer from this quite a bit at the cinema with the passive systems. I'm still not convinced that after a long day at work I'm going to want to don glasses for the evening's entertainment on a regular basis, but I think after what I saw I can say I wouldn't mind having the tv/specs system to use on occasion for the big game or the occasional 3D blu-ray. I think a lot remains to be seen as far as the rollout into the marketplace is concerned, but I'm definitely leaning towards the pro-3D side of the fence after seeing it in the flesh.

I look forward to hearing opinions from others who have demoed it, and can you specify if it was the passive polarised variety or active shutter variety that you were privy to.

Messiah

I saw both at the WHF demo at the Bristol Show and have to say that they were very similar. It is hard to do a decent comparison as the material was dfferent on both. I have to say that I was impressed as well. I thought that the 3D worked very well. For 3D in the past it was all about stuff coming out of the screen at you but with this the whole image is 3D with the odd effect coming at you.

Like you I cannot see myself having to stick the glasses on every time I want to watch something but for the occasional film or special event then sure.

However, for me the price is key. Like any technology, once it is down to a respectable price then I would be interested in buying into it but not until then. Plus I don't want to have to re-buy stuff I already have (again) in yet another format.

A

Anonymous

I also went to the Bristol show and saw both technologies . Though going there with an open mind , I didn't like any !

For people old enough to remember what kind of picture a View-Master (
http://www.firebox.com/product/2198/View-Master-Retro?aff=1108 ) could give , it's the same feeling I got from 3D . Interesting on the technological side , but not a natural picture at all .

I will keep my Kuro a bit longer
emotion-1.gif

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I only saw the active shutter one, and I was impressed with the efficacy of it, but did kind of think "yes but what's it for?".

I was thinking that beforehand, that beyond gimmicky stuff what'd it be useful for, but after seeing the demo of the bear jumping in the water to catch the fish with all the air bubbles I think the investment would be entirely worth it if the next series by the BBC Planet Earth team is delivered on 3D Blu-ray. As a matter of fact if that were the only content ever delivered I think it would still be worth it! I also saw some footage of video games and, as someone who spends much time playing Forza Motorsport, I can see getting some milage out of that. The downside is of course the ever irking replacement of perfectly good (and decently new) equipment for compatibility. I love my AVR-3808A and to replace it with a unit that sounds better will not be cheap as I bought mine just before all the manufacturers put their prices up to punish us for having a naughty pound. All in all I liked what I saw. Not enough to need to buy straight away... but when I move the 32" in the living room up to the bedroom I would now look to make sure its replacement is at least 3D compatible. My eyes are distantly admiring the new Panasonic VT20 range.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Still haven't come around to this - the fact of having to wear the glasses is the first put-off. Secondly, I found Avatar a bit too much to take-in in 3d. Too much detail to appreciate. Viewing is something that can be passive, with 3d there's too much concentration - not ideal for vegging out in front of...

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:Still haven't come around to this - the fact of having to wear the glasses is the first put-off. Secondly, I found Avatar a bit too much to take-in in 3d. Too much detail to appreciate. Viewing is something that can be passive, with 3d there's too much concentration - not ideal for vegging out in front of...my thoughts exactly , i found myself not knowing where to look watching avatar , it was like there was too much info to take in , it felt strange , i suppose the big screen didnt help , maybe on a 50in tv it will be easier to get my head around , if that makes sense ..

TRENDING THREADS