Viera Cast via Ethernet over Mains - 85mbps or 200 mbps?

EMcG

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm just about to take delivery of the Panny SC-BT200 Blu-Ray system to compliment my Panny TX-37G10.

I want to access the Viera Cast features (and iPlayer on Freesat in the future) and as my internet router is in another room I intend to use the electric mains circuit to send the internet signal to the TV/Home Cinema system. There are plenty of internet over mains plugs out there. But what I need to know is do I need 200mbps or 85mbps for Viera Cast and iPlayer to work well. Obviously, 200 is faster than 85 - but would 85 suffice?

On a side issue - anyone use Viera Cast? Is it any good?

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Does Vieracast work on the G10 series?

I was told it only works on the G15 series and above, and that the ethernet port on a G10 is only there because it's a pre-requisite of Freesat....

My P42G10 is still in it's box, awaiting building works to finish, so I haven't had a chance to check it

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
I have an 85 mbps setup and it is fine with iplayer HD. As Andrew says, it is faster than your broadband connection so any more bandwith is unnecessary for your intended use.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
proterra:From what I understand the iplayer on freeat won't need an eithernet connection it will OTA. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong. Satellite is a broadcast medium. My freesat box has an ethernet connection which has been enabled by a recent firmware upgrade in preparation for the iplayer.

A

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic DMR 850, and I use a Denovo mains plug network which cost £50 or so to access Viera Link. Its quite fast enough. I have Picasa web albums, and I look at YouTube using it. Youtube on a 37" screen in my sitting room is absolutely great. There is no whirring PC fan, or crumby little screen to distract you. I always read the reviews of new music albums in the weekend papers and have a look at any new artists or songs before making a decision whether to buy. There are also some great artist tutorials that I have been able to watch. As for Picasa, its a poor second to my Panny PVR which also plays my digital photos, mainly because there is no choice of the accompanying music on Picasa. I have Freesat through the Panny which is great and am looking forward to the BBC iPlayer and ITV Player soon. The all in one Panny 850 is really expensive but it dispensed with all the other boxes I had, so now I have just two, it, and a Denon AVR 1910 - another great buy recommended by this magazine

Al

TRENDING THREADS