Van Damme Blue - Bargain of the Century

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Alantiggger:
mmm,

at the risk of sounding plain ''fick'' do you recon this cable will make my speakers sound any better than silver anniversary does ? (most interested)

I wouldn't say "better" but different certainly, and depending on the rest of your system and music tastes/preferences, this may mean better for you. The best way to find out is to get some, at £1.99 p/m i just took a gamble which paid off.

idc

stephennic:idc:
aliEnRIK:idc:With SHB the volume needs to be at 9 o'clock to get the sound going and it becomes too loud at 11.45. With the Van Damme, I can listen from 8 to 12.30. But surely if thats true then there MUST be a difference in cables?

Not a difference in sound quality, but a difference in volume where you can listen to the sweet spot of dynamics and clarity without distortion. My theory is that cables can sound different in different kit because their resistance etc means slightly different volume if you leave the volume control untouched. But if you match the volume, so all systems play at a specific db, then all cables do sound the same, as shown with blind tests.

Hi,

Also cables have different capitance, inductance, resistance, reactance levels. For example with the kimber catalogue they give you these specs for each cable they make, these can affect sound quality. If a cable is sounding fuller and meatier that sounds like a sound difference to me than a leaner perhaps brighter cable.
emotion-1.gif

Cheers

Steve.

idc

Attempt six to post this...

What I mean is -

Turn the volume to minimum on your amp so that there is no sound. Then start to turn up the volume knob. Note its position where sound can be heard for the first time. Keep turning the knob and the sound you initially hear lacks dynamics and the details are hidden and cannot be heard. Keep turning the volume until the music comes to life, where all is present and correct with dynamics, detail etc. That is the sweet spot. Note that position. Then keep going until the volume gets to the point it is too loud and distortion and even clipping starts. Note that position.

Then repeat with a different interconnect. My experience is that the positions you have noted will be slightly different with a different interconnect.

My theory is that interconnects supposedly sound different because those positions are slightly different. (Some interconnects I am sure will have identical positions). In actual fact, if you equalise the volume so it is at the same db level, (but the volume control may be at a slightly different position to achieve this) interconnects will sound the same.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I don't wish to bring on the whole snake oil debate again, but I think that many aspects of this hobby cannot be scientifically measured and explained. An interesting quote that I came across stated something to the effect that:
The difference in sound between hifi components (cables inclusive) can no better be explained by scientific measurements as the difference in "quality" of fine wine can be explained by chemical analysis.

For the record, I can hear clear differences between all types of cables... power, speaker and interconnects

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
hifikrazy:

For the record, I can hear clear differences between all types of cables... power, speaker and interconnects

Id be very interested if you could get yourself ABX or double blind tested and post the results here?

A

Anonymous

When I bought my PMC speakers, it made sense to buy the cables recommended by PMC to go with them, so that's what I did (the 6mm ones). They were absolutely fine straight off the reel and I've had no thoughts since about exploring alternatives. There can be no guarantee that they'll be great with every amp and speaker combo, but they're a no nonsense, well-made, stranded copper cable that, for such a reasonable price per metre, are certainly worth trying. Van Damme's (microphone) interconnect is also very good and very inexpensive ~ just £22.60 + p&p for a 1m pair from proaudioshop (mine are terminated with Neutrik XLR's, as I use Bryston amplification). It really isn't necessary to spend shedloads of money to get good cables. That's PMC's view and I'm happy to agree.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FrankTheTank said:
Alantiggger:
mmm,

at the risk of sounding plain ''fick'' do you recon this cable will make my speakers sound any better than silver anniversary does ? (most interested)

I wouldn't say "better" but different certainly, and depending on the rest of your system and music tastes/preferences, this may mean better for you. The best way to find out is to get some, at £1.99 p/m i just took a gamble which paid off.

I find this a little contradictory to the first post. This VD cable is supposed to make Rumour sound pants in every way, but only sounds 'different' when compared to the Silver Anniversary? Hmmmmm......

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
To bring this bang up to date; are there any new/changed views on this cable? :quest: :quest:

Interested to know people's thoughts as I need to recable from stereo to 5.1 and will need to shop around for it.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
KeithT said:
To bring this bang up to date; are there any new/changed views on this cable? :quest: :quest: Interested to know people's thoughts as I need to recable from stereo to 5.1 and will need to shop around for it.

I've had the 6mm version hooked up to my 2 channel stereo set up for a few years and it is an impressive looking, proper chunky cable. But uneccesary in a 5.1 set up, in my opinion, mainly cos of it's thick shielding. I used no name, £2pm stuff for my 5.1 set up and it sounds just as good as the Van Damme.

Hope this helps, matey

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks v much. I bought some VanDamme blue for £1.90pm so hopeful for good results.

I used to live around the corner from the Exposure factory in Portslade! Still going?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts