chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Seen a few posts recently about valve equipment - mainly amps.

I've never heard any, and people do seem to be thrilled by them. So, to deal with my ignorance, I have a couple of questions - if I may...

What is it about the sound that is so different to solid state amps?

And, are the valves consumable items? And if so, how long do they last, and how much do they cost to replace?

Thanks very much....

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
chris_bates1974 said:
Hi everyone,

Seen a few posts recently about valve equipment - mainly amps.

I've never heard any, and people do seem to be thrilled by them. So, to deal with my ignorance, I have a couple of questions - if I may...

What is it about the sound that is so different to solid state amps?

And, are the valves consumable items? And if so, how long do they last, and how much do they cost to replace?

Thanks very much....

Hi Chris. My experience with valves is in preamplifiers only. To my ears vocals and high frequencies can sound amazingly life-like and "airy" when compared with some solid state which can sound a bit mechanical. However you can bet yer butt that they don't measure as well as SS, so if that's your thing then stick with SS.

The downside to valves can be in the lower frequencies and in power delivery, which is why I have always stuck with solid state power amps, which can deliver bags of beautifully pre-amplified current to my speakers. By all accounts really, really good tube power amplifiers can sound incredible, but the shear size, energy consumption, heat output and cost of such beasts has always put me off.

Valves are consumables and can cost very little for bog standard units and a great deal for rarer original breeds. In preamplification circuits they tend to last a lot longer. My preamplifer states 6000 hours life expectancy. However, if you go down the valve power/integrated amp route then I believe you will have to replace those power tubes more often. Hopefully this helps... Go on, give it a try...

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Chris, this thread covers the sound qualities of valves very well:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/sonic-beauty-valves

Large power type valves last for very approximately 5000 hours. Smaller valves should be good for 10000 hours, maybe more, maybe less.

300b valves can get expensive - like about £250 per pair for Shuguang black treasures.

2a3 valves can be bought for about £40 per pair.

Pre-amp / driver type valves are generally less expensive - from £10 per pair upwards.

One way to look at it is to add the cost of a lifetime's supply of valves onto the initial purchase price to get the true cost of the amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts