Valve amp: help me understand valves

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
The whole point about Valve (or Tube) Amps is how they sound. They are not difficult or scary to maintain and replacement valves are easy to obtain.

Been listening to my S8 this morning (some jazz, acoustic guitar and female vocals) and it was sublime.

Music through my Devialet is more neutral and dynamic and communicates music brilliantly, but for me music has more soul and emotion through a pair of Mullard 12 AU7's and Shuguang 845's.

Bufo Bill

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Best thing I did to join this forum! Thanks for the information all of you, you have filled out my knowledge a lot. I have noted your recommendations of makers, is there a good place to buy a selection or is it just best to use general auction sites like eBay?

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
The whole point about Valve (or Tube) Amps is how they sound. They are not difficult or scary to maintain and replacement valves are easy to obtain.

Been listening to my S8 this morning (some jazz, acoustic guitar and female vocals) and it was sublime.

Music through my Devialet is more neutral and dynamic and communicates music brilliantly, but for me music has more soul and emotion through a pair of Mullard 12 AU7's and Shuguang 845's.

That sounds like the old argument between ss and valve (hybrids gives only 'so, so sound'). Since 2005 I listen only to valves. Of course sometimes i too miss some of the power of ss, but the choice is easy for me when listening to fluent, captive valve-sound!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts