UV2A panel TVs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anybody know which new TV models from Sharp, Sony and Philips will incorporate panels with UV2A technology

and when they will be available on the market? Based on their specs finally they just very well could be a KURO beaters.

A

Anonymous

May be somebody from editors can add something to this stimulating discussion
emotion-21.gif

scene

the_lhc:UV2A?

Quick google finds Sharp's press release on UV2A - click - basically allows for the alignment of the liquid crystal molecules to be controlled during production

OK it's interesting, but hardly Kuro-beating: "High contrast ratio of 5000:1 for the display of extremely deep blacks"

Faster response times => good for 3D...

So brighter screens with less smear, but not anything earth-shattering.

A

Anonymous

Mon general, Scene. I would not fret about numbers too much as world beating KRP 500 Kuros click very respectable 518 ANSI contrast ratios, while latest 9704 go to cracking 621 units. So 5000 does not sound too bad in that respect, eh? Though in all fairness we dont know what those 5000 mean so for the sake of the clarity I would not bring any contrast numbers during this discussion, unless we know for sure how they measured and what they really mean. By the way are you aware that human eye can hardly discern differences in contrast exceeding 300 ?

scene

hazarin:
Mon general, Scene. I would not fret about numbers too much as world beating KRP 500 Kuros click very respectable 518 ANSI contrast ratios, while latest 9704 go to cracking 621 units. So 5000 does not sound too bad in that respect, eh? Though in all fairness we dont know what those 5000 mean so for the sake of the clarity I would not bring any contrast numbers during this discussion, unless we know for sure how they measured and what they really mean. By the way are you aware that human eye can hardly discern differences in contrast exceeding 300 ?

Interesting. I believe the official ANSI contrast ratio of the Kuros has been measured at between 2500:1 to 3300:1 (depending on calibration, etc.), similar to the 9704 that has been measured at 2513:1 (approx).

I suspect the contrast ratio of "5000" quoted for the Sharps UV2A technology is either the dynamic contrast ratio, which is virtually always higher that the static one, the one that give Kuro a measurement in the 30,000 level (from memory)

A

Anonymous

As we side stepped into the wonderfull world of contrast measurements, to the best of my knowledge, no self-respected manufacturer would publish ANSI contrast numbers because they rarely go beyond 600 and this is very-very-very good. All these thousands, tens of thousands and millions which you currently see are all refer to ON/OFF contrast measurements which are significantly higher then ANSI and thus serve as a much better selling point. But some reviewers call ANSI contrast something not even close to it. By definition ANSI contrast is classic black-and-white checkerboard static measurement "where the luminosity values are measured simultaneously. This is a more realistic measure of system capability" ( Wikipedia).

But going back to TVs looks like new 9705, 8605 and 7605 Philips will all switch to UV2A panels, and for 9705 in particular Philips claims 10.000.000 contrast number, which is twice as much as for 9704. Regardless of the numbers of zeroes it is two-fold improvement. Actually I managed to find some pics from Sharp exhibit in China and their TV named LC-40 (46,52) LX-1 showed something you never saw before on any LCD. Off axis deepest black possible.

scene

New Sony XBR's are also going to have UV2A panels.

And I agree, anything that increases the effective aperture of the lcd panel will make them more efficient and increase contrast. However, you are still reliant on the quality of the backlighting - ccfl vs. led vs. RGB led. and without local dimming, light leakage will reduce effective contrast. Even local dimming has issues, the highest (current) spec panels use 224 locally dimmed leds to "reduce the halo effect" noted when bright objects appear in a dark background. Even so, that means local dimming only happens at a block level of some 128x72 pixels (approx.). While this greatly improves dynamic contrast, it still has a long way to go to match the pixel level contrast of transmissive sources, such as oled, plasma or sed.

The greater impact of UV2A is the increased speed of switching available, reducing motion blur and increasing the perceived clarity for 3D viewing, where rapid switching is a necessity for shuttered approaches.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts