Using multiple inputs on AV amp (esp Yamaha)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all - a quick question for anyone with a fairly modern AV amp/receiver, especially Yamaha's (particularly Yamaha RX-V1900... I'm still waiting for one!)...

I'm trying to find a method of connecting more devices to an amp. If there are multiple devices connected to a source input on the amp, how does the amp/user decide which to play?

i.e. I have an XBox connected via HDMI to an input on the amp labelled (for example) 'DVD'. If I connected a PS2 to the component 'DVD' inputs, how does the amp handle this? Is it easy enough to switch input sources, so that I can use the 'DVD' input to handle the two consoles?

I have downloaded several manuals (mainly Yamaha and Pioneer as these seem to offer more AV devices than, say, the Onkyos) but it's still not clear to me whether this is an acceptable way of connecting. As you may have guessed, I have more AV devices that I want to connect, than most amps have AV input sources!

Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone know if the UK Yamaha RX-V1900 has a USB port? I have a 'New Product Bulletin' I downloaded from Yamaha that shows one, and mentions it. The manual I downloaded from the same Yamaha site doesn't mention it?!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Usually each input will have a variety of sockets - eg analog/digital audio, various video inputs and HDMI - you can assign to it, but you'll be limited by the number of input selections the amp allows you, rather than the physical number of sockets.

Yes, you could use different video or audio inputs labelled DVD for example, for different sources, but you'll probably find you have to go deep into the menus and change assignments over and again to do so.

In other words, if the receiver lets you select TV, DVD, CD, Game, Aux1, Aux 2 and Tape, then you can only(!) connect seven sources to it without a lot of hassle, even if you may not be using every socket on the back.

And yes, the Yamaha does have a USB port.

A

Anonymous

Thanks... pretty much as I suspected!

Do you know of any receivers that will accept more than 6 AV sources?

I have, and would like to connect, the following;

BluRay Player

XBox

Sky+

HDD AV player/recorder

PS2

Wii

TV (sound out from TV tuner into amp)

DVD/VHS recorder

... as well as CD and MP3 player.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, I read the seven I quoted off the remote for my Onkyo TX-SR875, and I am sure there are others accepting even more inputs.

But the most cost-effective way may be to get an external switchbox to hook up the games consoles, thus reducing the number of receiver inputs required. After all, you waon't be playing games on all three of them at once...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
But the most cost-effective way may be to get an external switchbox to hook up the games consoles

True; but unfortunately the Xbox is HDMI, the PS2 is composite, and the Wii uses component... gets a bit messy (and the reason I'm allowed the new receiver is to neaten-up the cable situation
emotion-5.gif
)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts