Using different speaker cable in system

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,

Does anyone know whether your meant to use the same speaker cable for the fronts and centre in a 5.1 speaker system?

I know you can get away with using different ones for rears, but I don't really know the 'rules' regarding the front and centre speakers.

Can anyone advise............

Messiah

Well ideally you will keep the front 3 speakers tonally the same by using the same manufacturer and range so it would follow that you would need to use the same speaker cable too. IMO

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks...

Thought that would be the case......draw back is I have QED Profile 4x4 cable on the fronts from 1997, and I'm struggling to find somewhere that still sells it!!!

Any thoughts.........besides replacing the QED Profile at the same time as the centre (currently using QED Silver Anniversairy)......

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If it's not causing you any listening displeasure, I'd just stick with it until you can either find some Profile 4x4 on Ebay or until you decide you want to replace the whole lot anyway.

Messiah

Hmmm,

Maybe this is long enough??

How long do you need it to be?? Maybe some new cable would not be a bad thing??

At the end of the day though how does it sound?? If it sounds fine then enjoy it! (Although I know these things can niggle at you!)

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply guys......

I actually only need one metre of the cable to reach the centre speaker, so didn't want to purchase that ebay item.

The reason I am reluctant to change cable from the Profile 4x4 is that it bought my Marantz KI CD/Marantz KI amp/Tannoy speaker system alive when i brought it in 2000......

And it has just done it again with the onkyo 606 and Q Acoustics 1010i 5.1 system, compared with the QED Silver Anniversairy(original), so thought it might open up the voicals on movies more too.

I know the Profile 4x4 is a biwire cable, but I am using it as a single, and doubling it up to increase the gauge of the wire.

Unless you know of something that is so much better at a similar price???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts