Using Chord Mojo only as DAC for another headphone amp?

ReneTS

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi

Can I use the Chord Mojo just as a DAC, and connect it to an Arcam rhead amp? And how would I do this if possible?

ReneTS

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I have just bought some Sennheiser HD800S, and would like to try them with a balanced amp like the Arcam. But I need a DAC, and so would like to use the Mojo just for that if possible.

Gray

I think that you need to know that it is the INPUT to the rhead that is balanced.

Its connection to headphones is by standard (or 3.5mm) stereo jack sockets only.

Sennheiser's own HDVD 800 would give your headphones the 'balanced' outputs for the XLR4 lead supplied with them. It also includes its own built-in DAC.

Gray

No doubt you could find cheaper than that Sennheiser amp (although when compared to the price of your headphones it's arguably not that expensive)

I can see how you would want to make the best of the headphones you've got, but you may want to have a read of this, from a highly respected company, saying why they don't bother with balanced h/p outputs, even suggesting that the sound could be worse (copy / paste necessary for the link):

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

As you might imagine, there are others saying why balanced beats unbalanced with headphones.

Don't get confused if you read how balanced connections between professional audio equipment are an advantage - that's different (that's what the balanced input on the rhead is)

I'm a big Sennheiser fan (once had a listen to a £9,000 pair of theirs, complete with their own valve amp) and I've got their HD590 model, among others.

I reckon yours would probably be great with (just) the Mojo, using the standard lead and 3.5mm adapter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts