Using a Hard-drive with an AV amp

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm wondering about a hard drive to store movies and music on, and how I could run it through my system. I believe the connection from the hard drive will be USB, but the AV amps don't seem to have a USB socket in the rear.

So, could I connect the USB to a front port, and i'll be fine. Or, could I connect it to a HDMI port in the rear, using a USB to HDMI cable, or converter? is there such a thing?

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
well the hard drive would hold the movies and music, would the amp not find them and allow them to play? just like a gigantic USB stick?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
timbo999 said:
well the hard drive would hold the movies and music, would the amp not find them and allow them to play? just like a gigantic USB stick?

Impossible question to answer without knowing what the amp is, some new models will certainly play music from USB storage, don't know about video though.

timbo999

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
The whole video from hard drive is a tricky thing. I've heard of these issues, and a "medi centre" might allow it to work? Don't really know how it works? Ha!

I just want to know what's possible with the current amps out there. The 2 I'm focusing on are the Yamaha 671 and the Onkyo 609. The Onkyo seems to have more features for streaming but the Yamaha may sound better. Need a listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts