used speaker search

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi all

i'm putting together a system on a tight budget and a bit of a nostalgia trip

so far i have:

• Rega Planar 3...not sure which tonearm but it's not an RB250 or RB300...cartridge is a Rega Bias
  • Arcam Alpha 1
  • listening area approx 12' x 12'
  • collection of indie/rock on vinyl
  • blu-tack
  • understanding spouse

looking for something like HB1 speakers in character, but maybe something floorstanding this time

i'm watching some Monitor Audio Bronze 3 on ebay, somebody has the same on gumtree for 175 euros...would these be suitable?

taste aside - what do i need to check for in terms of compatibility?

thanks

T

the record spot

If this is the speaker from MA back from the year 2000, then they could be okay - could do with a beefier amp though as the Alpha 1 is a 35wpc effort. The 90db efficiency on the Bronze 3 helps no end however, so but you'd probably want to upgrade the amp to something which will better control the speaker drive units. The Alpha 1 will work okay, but more power is no bad thing.

A

Anonymous

thanks

the Alpha 1 hasn't even arrived yet, so not looking to upgrade...just for speakers to suit

i do have a Cambridge Audio Azur 540P, forgot about it as it's sandwiched between a rubbish turntable and an unsuitable home cinema set-up...could i add this into the equation?

T

the record spot

Like I say, your amp should be fine; I used a Sansui 217 amp a while back for Mission 752s, put on the 717 amp recently and the step-up was like night and day.

I think the Alpha 1 came with a phono stage, so compare and contrast the 540P with the onboard one. I hear good things of the Cambridge, so it's worth listening to some LPs you know well and taking it from there. I'd probably be inclined to hang onto it though. Especially if the Alpha 1 doesn't have a phono stage!

A

Anonymous

thanks again

probably should have mentioned that i live in a flat so need something that gives me detail at reasonably low volume

the HB1s i used to listen to didn't overpower the little room they were in but seemed to have plenty enough, they're scarce now so i'm happy to consider alternatives

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts