Used Amp and speakers

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Looking to upgrade my 20 year old hifi, I will keep the Marantz 63SE cd player, looking to change amp. and speakers which are Arcam Alpha 3 and Mission 780SEs.

Thought about the Arcam Alpha 9 as I like the Arcam sound but it seems quite a lot of money for an old amp. at around £220, are there are better altenatives, how about Creek? Speakers I really not sure about, would want stand mounts upto £400.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The Creek 4330 is a great amp if you want something different. Alternatively the Arcam A65+ is a great buy. Some great prices on the Denon PMA720AE recently as well - a very involving sounding amp.

Thanks for the tips.

Do you know about the Creek 6060? Is that better than an Arcam 9?

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I use an arcam alpha 9 and think it's a good amp especially at the second hand prices on fleabay (about £250 for a good one)

One problem they get with time is a crackle in the selector switch which, although annoying, is an easy repair. You can always add the arcam alpha 9P later on if you need a bit more omf...

Haven't heard the creek.

All the best!

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
How about a Linn Majik i amp. for about £300?

Nothing wrong with any of the gear you are looking at but they are hardly a huge upgrade are they?

If you are looking at spending £600 to £700 then why not bid for these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200914465122?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

They would be a huge upgrade on what you currently have and depending on what they eventually sell for may be within your budget.

Just out of interest what is your upper budget?

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Etymotic, have you heard the equipment you've waved away so dismissively? No, thought not.

Linn Majik,actually yes as I used to have one in an all Linn system before I moved on to Naim. Have also had a Denon amp so know the family sound....

The point I was trying to make was are they much of an upgrade on what he already has. I dont think they really are.

Do you think they are a huge improvement then?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Linn Majik and the Creek, yes. I'd probably go for speakers first, though - Neat, Totem, Dynaudio decent choice there. New Dynaudio DM2/7 at £570 wouldn't be a bad choice by any means.

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Linn Majik and the Creek, yes. I'd probably go for speakers first, though - Neat, Totem, Dynaudio decent choice there. New Dynaudio DM2/7 at £570 wouldn't be a bad choice by any means.

Fair enough....but I still think you would need a bigger budget for big improvements.As you say though the Linn Majik amp was superb. I had it in my system in the 90's and got much pleasure from it.It was an absolute tank of an Amp and saw off most of its sonic rivals such as the Cyrus 3,Nait 3 and the Arcam Delta easily at the time.

I wonder if the OP has seen one for sale and knows when it was made...or if it was the line only or the phono version?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Etymotic said:
BigH said:

Nothing wrong with any of the gear you are looking at but they are hardly a huge upgrade are they?

They would be a huge upgrade on what you currently have and depending on what they eventually sell for may be within your budget.

Thanks but I don't think they are Red Spot version, so they are alreeady too much for me, as would cost over £400 to upgrade with current drivers and tweeters. Upper budget for used gear is about £700.

I have seen several Linn Majik I for sale but don't know the year I will hav eto ask. The real problem buying used is not able to hear it. I'm considering the AVI 9RSS as well, just looking at all the options. There is an AVI dealer in Kent where I'm going in 2 weeks time so may get a demo there.

Etymotic

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
Etymotic said:
BigH said:

Thanks but I don't think they are Red Spot version, so they are alreeady too much for me, as would cost over £400 to upgrade with current drivers and tweeters. Upper budget for used gear is about £700.

I have seen several Linn Majik I for sale but don't know the year I will hav eto ask. The real problem buying used is not able to hear it. I'm considering the AVI 9RSS as well, just looking at all the options. There is an AVI dealer in Kent where I'm going in 2 weeks time so may get a demo there.

That sounds like the dealer I got mine from.......Digital Music User. Is that the one?

Incredibly helpful guy works there called Rob. Knows his AVI stuff and will give good advice.

There is also Bartletts Hi Fi on Holloway road in Islington who sell AVI speakers...Might be worth checking with them if they have any on demo? You are not too far from there are you?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Etymotic said:
BigH said:
Etymotic said:
BigH said:

That sounds like the dealer I got mine from.......Digital Music User. Is that the one?

Incredibly helpful guy works there called Rob. Knows his AVI stuff and will give good advice.

There is also Bartletts Hi Fi on Holloway road in Islington who sell AVI speakers...Might be worth checking with them if they have any on demo? You are not too far from there are you?

Yes that the one in Sittingbourne. Yes quite close to London I avoid it if I can.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

Which Neats do you recommend? Do they sound like PMC DB1s?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts