Use of Aspect Ratio control when viewing HD on Panasonic TX32LXD500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the Pana TX32LXD500 and Sky HD. The TV will not allow me to alter the Aspect Ratio when watching 1080 output via HDMI. This is not a fault, it is stated in the manual. Is there any way I can get the screen full when watching HD films via Sky? (ie via Sky box). Will I experience the same issue with a BluRay player?. Is there a BluRay that will allow me to negate this issue?

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Rifty,

HD is a native 16:9 format i.e the picture is recorded as 1920 x1080 pixels per frame (unlike SD which is a native 4:3 image recording of 720 x 576 pixels per frame - 16:9 is derived by 'squashing' the image horizontally when recording and then 'restretching' on playback.) I assume you are talking about the black bars top and bottom of a 2.35:1 movie ? These are a part of the 1920 x 1080 image and unless you have some form of rescaler (which will lose you a large portion of each side of the image as well as degrade the picture by 'zooming' it up in much the same way as DVDs are upscaled to HD and how the Phillips 21:9 TV fills its frame with a 2.35 image.) you'll have to put up with it. Don't forget what you are seeing is the image as the DOP and the director shot it.

Just an aside, but if you buy any BluRays with original 4:3 material (movies in the 40's and 50's were shot Academy which is 4:3 ratio but shot on 35mm film so with superb image resolution especially when restored) they will have been recorded pillar boxed i.e with black bands either side (unless some idiot has decided to pan and scan them so losing you the top and bottom of the image.)

My advice? Just turn off the lights, turn up your surround system and enjoy the movies, you'll soon forget about the black bars.

Rob

A

Anonymous

I agree with Rob, trying to change aspect ratio and zoom in does not look good when the source is recorded with a widescreen black bands top and bottom, it is the way the director wanted the audience to view the feature, current Panasonic tv's allow the chage of aspect on the tv but being honest, it distorts and blows the image up and the definintion does not look so good.

Bottom line, you have to get used to the widescreen format as nearly everything is that way now when watching movies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts