US to UK voltage

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
As some of you know, I ordered the Bryston Bda-1 about 7 weeks ago from the USA. It arrived last month whilst I was away in South Africa on a voluntary project, and is now in my lounge.

I knew when I got it that I would have to convert the power from US to UK. However, I don't know what product to get and I obviously don't want to damage the DAC by using the wrong equipment!

Firstly, do I definitely need a voltage adaptor, or would a us to uk plug adaptor like this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/US-UK-Plug-Travel-Adaptor/dp/B0006OFKNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249421247&sr=8-1

- work?

Obviously this depends on whether the american version of bda-1 supports the uk voltage of 240v.

I have seen the specs of the Bryston bda-1 on www.bryston.ca but I'm not sure exactly what part of the technical info I should be looking at to figure out what voltage adaptor is compatible! I have the dac's manual in front of me, so if anyone can point out what information I need, to know which adaptor to use, that would be really helpful! Thanks

T

the record spot

I bought a Sansui TU-317 tuner about a year or so back which has a US connection. I bought a plug adapter from Maplins and plugged into the wall. Not sure if you have any voltage issues to worry about but maybe one of the more electrically safety minded will chime in.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Audioholic:

As some of you know, I ordered the Bryston Bda-1 about 7 weeks ago from the USA. It arrived last month whilst I was away in South Africa on a voluntary project, and is now in my lounge.

I knew when I got it that I would have to convert the power from US to UK. However, I don't know what product to get and I obviously don't want to damage the DAC by using the wrong equipment!

Firstly, do I definitely need a voltage adaptor, or would a us to uk plug adaptor like this -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/US-UK-Plug-Travel-Adaptor/dp/B0006OFKNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1249421247&sr=8-1

- work?

Obviously this depends on whether the american version of bda-1 supports the uk voltage of 240v.

I have seen the specs of the Bryston bda-1 on www.bryston.ca but I'm not sure exactly what part of the technical info I should be looking at to figure out what voltage adaptor is compatible! I have the dac's manual in front of me, so if anyone can point out what information I need, to know which adaptor to use, that would be really helpful! Thanks

The manual refers to a 120 vac and a 240vac unit so I assume there are two different models.It should have a plate riveted to it somewhere stating voltage .If you only have the US plug with it ,chances are it is 120v so whatever you do do not use that amazon adaptor.You need a stepdown transformer which Tacima make quite a few of.

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
So I think I've identified I need to get a 240/120v transformer, but how do I pin down what spec volt ampere (Va) I need?! Is this ok for instance? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepdown-240-120v-Transformer-100VA/dp/B000NIYF0K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1249426865&sr=8-3

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the internal fuse, just downstream of the mains inlet, is, according to the Bryston manual, as follows

For 100 volt models fuse value is F 250mA L
For 120 volt models fuse value is F 250mA L
For 230 volt models fuse value is F 125mA L
For 240 volt models fuse value is F 125mA L

So it seems the power consumption is negligible, as one might expect of a DAC. About 25-30W or so, if the WHF steam abacus serves correctly.

So a transformer rated at 100VA should be more than adeqaute, though I wouldn't vouch for any effect such a stepdown transformer may have on the sound.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

though I wouldn't vouch for any effect such a stepdown transformer may have on the sound.

Is this another "cable debate" .
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:Is this another "cable debate" .
emotion-2.gif

No. But those step-down transformers tend to be quite noisy, both in electrical terms and often mechanically, too, and may deliver quite 'dirty' power to the product connected to them, as well as affecting other equipment in the system via RFI and EMI.

Living in a household where we had quite a lot of bits and bobs running off stepdowns after my wife moved here from Japan a few years back, I am quite aware of the problems such converters can cause.

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to alleviate the problems caused by dirty power? Seeing that Bryston stress exhaust they've designed the bda-1 to have as clean power in its analogue circuits as possible, I don't want to waste it's potential by feeding it dirty power!

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Audioholic:Is there a way to alleviate the problems caused by dirty power? Seeing that Bryston stress they've exhausted over making the bda-1 have as clean power in its analogue circuits as possible - I don't want to waste it's potential by feeding it dirty power!

I am in Bryston/ Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more,/ Returning were as tedious as go o'er.

Buy the stepdown and see.You have no choice.Also things have changed a little since Andrew was quoting(liberty taken)

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Ravey Gravey Davy:Is this another "cable debate" .
emotion-2.gif

No. But those step-down transformers tend to be quite noisy, both in electrical terms and often mechanically, too, and may deliver quite 'dirty' power to the product connected to them, as well as affecting other equipment in the system via RFI and EMI.

Living in a household where we had quite a lot of bits and bobs running off stepdowns after my wife moved here from Japan a few years back, I am quite aware of the problems such converters can cause.

I would agree with Andrew - I made the massive Mistake of purchasing my Denon 4308 from America. The transformer is noisy & is most likely affecting other equipment. Even though I got a professional one made for almost £150 - I know it wont be perfect. I will always tend to stay clear of America equipment - due to the simple fact of problems with the mains supply. My Denon is linked to the transformer which in turn is linked to an Isotek Sigmas.

The best solution is to get the internal transformer changed to a UK spec one? - A Denon certified repair man quoted me something like <£200 to get it all changed to a fully UK spec power supply.

Just a thought....

Audioholic

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I assume there's no way around having to use a mains transformer? I'm about to order a 100vac one unless anyone recommends a different option.

Assuming I get the mains transformer, what is the best solution at a reasonable cost for improving the power - would a mains conditioner work?!? Please offer your opinions - I know there's a lot of controversy about what effect these mains products and the most common opinion seems to be try the product for yourself and see if it has an effect, but do you have any opinions if in my situation it's worth trying?

I bought a pretty cheap toslink to mini toslink cable for the airport express, cos I assume that there's little difference between this and more expensive cables since it's a fibre optical cable - is that opinion warranted?

Cheers guys, hopefully the system will be up and running soon once I've sorted the transformer issue! It's a bit annoying having it in my lounge atm doing nothing!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Not sure if this will help, but I believe that at one point Isotek/Isol-8 were able to supply the substation set up to run US voltage equipment.
http://www.isol-8.co.uk/
May be worth asking if there is anything they can do to help.

Alternately, PS Audio is a US mains conditioning manufacturer, maybe they could supply one of their regenerators with an input of 220/240v and output set to 110v?

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/contact/

A

Anonymous

How did you go with this conversion for I have the same issue too.?

A

Anonymous

Hi, I know it's been a while since this subject was 1at disscussed, however what was the outcome in converting the 120 volt to 230 volt in a BDA-1?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi Hicham,

I know that by some (or perhaps a lot) of US 120 Volt gear you can inside the box change the primary connections of the transformer so the amplifier (or whatever) can run on 230 Volt. Perhaps you can ask the manufacturer.

Regards, Hendrik Jan.

A

Anonymous

I'd say the best bet would be to go upwards on the VA, to where the transformer is a mechanical design rather than electronic e.g. winding based - this should produce power noiselessly and with qualities exactly as per its incoming feed (other than voltage). Specification would be ever-so-slightly overkill e.g. 1000VA (1.1KW) but would happily supply a DAC without even warming up. RF and MI is still potentially an issue so I'd keep the transformer away from the other devices, although the low power being drawn would reduce any issue to very small and very short distance.

A

Anonymous

I agree putt1ck, however i want to get to that solution of change of a bulb or a switch.like is the case with Benchmark or Bel Canto.

A

Anonymous

Audioholic:do I definitely need a voltage adaptor, or would a us to uk plug adaptor....... work?..

Just to re-count a little tale, I was touring the USA back in the 60s (a different city and at least one flight a day, everyday, for 6 months) at a time when portable music systems just didn't exist as they do today. Pre Walkmans etc.

I was heavily into music but once outside the FM coverage of NY and LA there wasn't much to be heard on the radio.

The answer came in the form of a portable Fisher record deck, which looked just like a gray Samsonite suitcase, with the base as the electronics and the two-piece lid split to provide two separate speakers, This was a birthday present from A Very Famous Guitarist and, together with a metal box which contained 12 LPs, was to provide the music of choice for a very long time while away from home.

Two points: 1) It is staggering the amount of abuse that portable deck took by being slung around by airport baggage handlers and hotel porters on a daily basis without ever going wrong or failing to deliver, especially when you consider how audio equipment is treated today with velvet gloves and careful handling.

2) The most amazing example of customer care occurred when i got back to England and plugged the deck straight into the mains using only a US to UK plug converter, and not a transformer, (I put that down to suffering from jet-lag or brain-fade....) It expired in a cloud of smoke after working perfectly for under 2 seconds, so I took the battered remains of the system to where Fisher Audio had a UK office near Regents Park.

In true Rolls-Royce style they returned the deck to me in as-new condition, and even though I had explained exactly how I had caused the fault, they refused to charge me for it's repair!

It was a lesson I learned the hard way, and I have never repeated this particular mistake.

I wonder whatever happened to Fisher Audio?

It was suggested that they were bought out by Kenwood but I don't know for sure.

A

Anonymous

Hendrik Jan,

I, indeed have asked the Manufacturer.

The response was not at all technical. It all went around buying the unit rather from the local Agent with the corrsponding country voltage. I'd respect this point of view, but I also subscribe to my other choices and abilities. Well Hendrik Jan have this matter in the back of you mind and see if you can help me. By the Way what others in this Forum and with Bryston gear have ended up doing in this regard?

Regards,

Hicham, Sydney

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts