Upgrading wired system help please!

esmelou

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
We have a TEAC TN300 - 7 years old and a DENON Surround AV surround receiver AVR770SD (probably 15 years or more!). It is all rigged up with optical cables to a big patch in the wall and cannot be moved. Which is really inconvenient as the system is difficult to get to to play vinyl regularly. The TV is in a different place in the room and we don't use the surround system for anything other than vinyl. We have 8 satellite speakers in various places across 2 rooms all wired into the same amp. Is there a way of upgrading what we currently have to move the turntable and amp to the other side of the room? Or would it be a case of brand new amp and speakers and bluetooth transmitter for the record player? Or perhaps record player wired into amp and bluetooth speakers? I have no idea where to start so clear languaging for a non-expert would be appreciated!!! Also want really good sound quality without a huge price tag. If at all possible. I listen to a lot of classical music so nuance is really important. Many thanks inadvance!

Last edited:

esmelou

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
Not quite sure what you mean about using the surround sound system for vinyl.
Can you explain?
Vinyl output is stereo so you only need two speakers
Yes sure, so the surround sound system was set up by my ex many years ago. When I got the turntable I just plugged it into the existing surround sound amp which was connected to the satellites and thats what we listen to vinyl through, it has various settings. The tv is not connected as the whole patching are is not in a good ergonomic place in the room. So we want to move the record player entirely and pull out the cables and plaster up the holes.
I’m wondering if it’s possible to reuse, recycle or upgrade what we have to keep costs down or whether a new amp and speakers is the only option (Bluetooth would be a great function)

Gray

I’m wondering if it’s possible to reuse, recycle or upgrade what we have to keep costs down or whether a new amp and speakers is the only option (Bluetooth would be a great function)
Yes, I thought it was a case of using what you had....for now.

If quality is your priority, Bluetooth wouldn't come into the equation.
And, arguably you'd upgrade your turntable.
As a minimum though, a decent stereo amp and speakers is what you need.
State your budget....then someone will double it and choose something for you :)(y)

Reactions: Al ears

esmelou

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
So bluetooth quality is inferior in what way? Sound? Connection? Volume?
And if it wouldn’t match the quality we have now then perhaps until we have a bigger budget then we take the existing speakers off the wall in order to wire them directly into the amp wherever in the room we decide it should go? All of the optical cables are embedded in the walls I believe. We have four Boston satellites and four Yamaha ones. We would only need two? Or rig up four for more sound etc?
And thank you! 😄 I know I sound clueless!!

Gray

....nuance is really important.
That proves you're not clueless 👍
But nuance is what you're most likely to lose if you transmit your vinyl sound via Bluetooth.

When you say about optical cables in your panel - there are presumably electrical cables to your current speakers.

Are the speakers positioned high up?
What make are the 8 satellite speakers?
Are they all the same?

It's possible that you may be able to use a pair of speaker cables that are currently there...and maybe 2 of your speakers.....

esmelou

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
So we have four Boston satellites and four Yamahas. The Yamahas are 11 years old, the bostons are pushing 20 years I reckon. The sound is still excellent coming from them. They are fixed about 30cm below the ceiling on the walls with cables hidden. My ex worked in post production so it was all done properly. The cables that run to the patch in the corner are silver and copper in colour. He said they are optical cables. I’m assuming they carry the electricity as well as attaching to the amp but I cannot be sure. Pics attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 6

Gray

Yes sorry, I missed the fact that you'd already mentioned what speakers you had.

They are electrical cables going to your speakers.
The other ends should be exiting from the panel - which means that using the cables is a possibility (if you were to put a stereo amp where your AV amp currently is).

Ideally, a pair of stereo speakers would be positioned on their own stands, so that their tweeters are at your ear level.
That would mean either extending those existing cables down - or running new cables.

You could use a pair of speakers in their current position, but again, that would be a compromise (especially when high up and if close to corners).

Your turntable has a built-in phono preamp, which means that you don't need one in any amplifier that you buy.

If / when you bought an amp, you could decide which pair of speakers you preferred.....or whether new ones would be better.
Assuming you're in the UK, Richer Sounds currently has a pair of Wharfedale Diamond speakers, new, for £39.

Tell us the maximum you'd want to spend on an amplifier (and possibly speaker stands too).

esmelou

Nov 28, 2022
Visit site
I think if we can keep it to no more than £200 for this particular set up that would be preferable, (we intend to move house in two years so would be happy to get a completey new set up at that point). We can’t use the AV amp in the same place as it is we need the corner that the cables come out. The existing cables are plastered into the wall so I’d need to get new ones. But happy to get stands and use the existing speakers. So I think I would need cables, stands, possibly a stereo amp, if there is a decent one at that range, and would be interested to look at the wharfdale speakers, why did you recommend those ones? And thank you again this has been really helpful.

Gray

I think I would need cables, stands, possibly a stereo amp
If you were to get an amp, it would need to be an improvement on the Denon you're currently using.
£200 would be spread too thinly to really allow that.

So your best option may be to use your current amp in stereo mode, with your best pair of speakers on stands as a 2-year stop gap until you get something better and permanent.

Unless you decided to go with floorstanding speakers in the system you eventually buy, then any stands you buy now could still be used 2 years on, for different standmount speakers.
Have a look at Atacama stands - which are good value, with a choice of heights, pole colours and baseboard finish.

The cables you've got plastered in your wall were probably quite expensive. (Some people spend more than £200 on those alone). But look for some cable with at least 2.5mm cross sectional area, with OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) strands - and you'll see that it doesn't have to be too expensive.
Bare wire can be used, but better to get them pre terminated with 4mm plugs or fit some of these yourself (its quite an easy job for someone):

The Wharfedale speakers by the way.....have since gone up by £20, so are now £59 (with the £20 discount):
But the sound of speakers is a very personal thing - when you get that system in 2 years time, (especially if you're spending a lot) you must first listen to speakers and amps (preferably in your room) before settling on your choices.
Good luck.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS