Upgrading to Sky HD but still keeping SD box?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello, At present I have sky SD basic package (no films no sports) and thinking of getting the HD full package (not multi-room). Now I have been told that sky can move my old SD box into another room for me so my question is if I take out the full HD package will I be able to get sky movies and sport on my old box in SD in the anther room or will I be limit to the package I have now. If that makes any sense…

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sky will only do that if you go for multi-room.

Multi-room is a direct mirror of whatever you have on your main box, so if you don't subscribe to movies and sports on the HD box, you won't get them on the second box. However it appears you're going for the full HD package (I presume you mean all channels?), in which case you'll get movies and sports on both boxes.

And you'll be paying close to 70 quid a month as well...

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the very quick reply. yes I mean all channels

So I have to get multi room to be able to veiw films and sports. £70 quid ouch.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
magmax:Thank you for the very quick reply.
So I have to get multi room to be able to veiw films and sports

Err, if you don't go for multi-room all you'll get on the second box is the free channels, and that doesn't even include C4 or Five on Sky as they're still encrypted, so you'll basically get BBC and ITV. If you go for multi-room you'll get whatever you're paying for in the main package, this includes any additional pay channels that are broadcast through Sky (I have ESPN in both rooms for example for no extra cost, however Setanta was an additional charge for a second box because they didn't bill through Sky).

A

Anonymous

thanks again it makes sense now.
emotion-1.gif

Just trying to bring myself into the Nineteenth century

daveh75

the_lhc:magmax:Thank you for the very quick reply.

Err, if you don't go for multi-room all you'll get on the second box is the free channels, and that doesn't even include C4 or Five on Sky as they're still encrypted,Err, that's not strictly true...C4,,E4,More 4,Film 4 and their +1's are all FTA(Free to Air) so are receivable regardless of whether you subscribe or not.

And 4 HD (with an HD box,obviously), Five,Fiver,Five USA and their +1's are FTV (Free to view) and as such use low level encryption, so provided you leave your ex-subs card in the STB or buy a FSFS card, they are also receivable.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Just be aware that the HD package does not include the premium channels (i.e. sports & movies). To get HD sports and movies, you have to firstly subscribe to the SD equivalents. If you want all channels it's £48 - to that you can add on the £10 HD levy and if you want to replicate these channels in another room, a further £10 for the multiroom subscription. The multiroom subscription does not offer another HD pack though - this is £10 per month per HD box.

If you do not have an HD TV of course, there's no point in the HD digibox.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

A question for you all then, I am getting sky hd downstairs, but as I have a tv in the back bedroom, could I move the existing sd box upstairs, just to watch what is recorded on the hard drive? Wouldn't want to watch sky up there, but it means that the gf can watch her rubbish in peace, and not make me sit through it if I sit in the lounge!

Well, it is all the american crud that my missus records, and I don't want to watch!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
potboyslim:A question for you all then, I am getting sky hd downstairs, but as I have a tv in the back bedroom, could I move the existing sd box upstairs, just to watch what is recorded on the hard drive? Wouldn't want to watch sky up there, but it means that the gf can watch her rubbish in peace, and not make me sit through it if I sit in the lounge!
Well, it is all the american crud that my missus records, and I don't want to watch!

You'd still need multi-room, otherwise the Sky+ box effectively has no subscription and all the Sky+ features are disabled.

A

Anonymous

Damn, thougt that might be the case. So what your telling me is that I have to sit through all her rubbish tv and miss good things on building structures, cars, engineering things & nature programs etc. ps I am an engineer so it means I have to watch these man programs..! :)

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

So be a man and buy her a multiroom subscription for £10/month instead of the flowers you normally buy and she can sit upstairs on her own and watch her TV in peace.

You can do likewise downstairs. :eek:)

Problem solved.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Then I buy her more flowers for the room upstairs where she will be locked in to watch her crud. She calls me up, I walk in, give her a peck on the lips and say, my, don't those flowers look good next to the tv, and smell great. She goes all mushy inside, and I walk back out the room, downstairs and turn the sound up, so I can't here her the next time she calls me lol..!

Sounds like a plan to me, thanks for the advice.

Even sorts out the not talking to eachother bit!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm, can't see that working with my missus, it's not much to ask is it? She makes me sit through the soaps, what's wrong her sitting through two and half hours of 3-cushion billiards?

A

Anonymous

Have you ever watched the american soaps etc that girls watch? If you have, then every man would have a sympathy for me...

Oh well, will just have to go out and do more in the gym when they are on.

2.5 hours, that was a quick match, 4 and 5 hours ones for me.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
potboyslim:Have you ever watched the american soaps etc that girls watch?

No, luckily she hates all things american and only watches home grown soaps.

2.5 hours, that was a quick match, 4 and 5 hours ones for me.

How many points? Filipos Kasidokostas finished a 50-point group match in 12 innings, that's a quick match!

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:magmax:Thank you for the very quick reply.

Err, if you don't go for multi-room all you'll get on the second box is the free channels, and that doesn't even include C4 or Five on Sky as they're still encrypted, so you'll basically get BBC and ITV. If you go for multi-room you'll get whatever you're paying for in the main package, this includes any additional pay channels that are broadcast through Sky (I have ESPN in both rooms for example for no extra cost, however Setanta was an additional charge for a second box because they didn't bill through Sky).

lhc, how did you get ESPN for free? I subscribe for the full hd package, multi room etc. but I don't get ESPN!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Wovian:the_lhc:magmax:Thank you for the very quick reply.

lhc, how did you get ESPN for free? I subscribe for the full hd package, multi room etc. but I don't get ESPN!

I don't get it for free, I pay for ESPN on my main box but, because it's billed through Sky and not separately, it's automatically included in your multi-room subscription.

That's different to Setanta as they were a separate billing, so if you had multi-room you actually had to pay Setanta another 2 quid a month or something to get on both boxes.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:potboyslim:A question for you all then, I am getting sky hd downstairs, but as I have a tv in the back bedroom, could I move the existing sd box upstairs, just to watch what is recorded on the hard drive? Wouldn't want to watch sky up there, but it means that the gf can watch her rubbish in peace, and not make me sit through it if I sit in the lounge!

You'd still need multi-room, otherwise the Sky+ box effectively has no subscription and all the Sky+ features are disabled.

Can't you just do this....

Second Sat Box Thread

.....rather than pay for multiroom?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Wovian:the_lhc:magmax:Thank you for the very quick reply.

I don't get it for free, I pay for ESPN on my main box but, because it's billed through Sky and not separately, it's automatically included in your multi-room subscription.

That's different to Setanta as they were a separate billing, so if you had multi-room you actually had to pay Setanta another 2 quid a month or something to get on both boxes.

Ah!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
heystak:the_lhc:potboyslim:A question for you all then, I am getting sky hd downstairs, but as I have a tv in the back bedroom, could I move the existing sd box upstairs, just to watch what is recorded on the hard drive? Wouldn't want to watch sky up there, but it means that the gf can watch her rubbish in peace, and not make me sit through it if I sit in the lounge!

Can't you just do this.... Second Sat Box Thread.....rather than pay for multiroom?

Yes and no.

Yes you can run another cable (or two) upstairs and watch free to air channels but your subscription has moved to the box downstairs, so, no, the Sky+ features of the box upstairs, including watching anything you've recorded, are disabled.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:heystak:the_lhc:potboyslim:A question for you all then, I am getting sky hd downstairs, but as I have a tv in the back bedroom, could I move the existing sd box upstairs, just to watch what is recorded on the hard drive? Wouldn't want to watch sky up there, but it means that the gf can watch her rubbish in peace, and not make me sit through it if I sit in the lounge!

Can't you just do this.... Second Sat Box Thread.....rather than pay for multiroom?

Yes and no.

Yes you can run another cable (or two) upstairs and watch free to air channels but your subscription has moved to the box downstairs, so, no, the Sky+ features of the box upstairs, including watching anything you've recorded, are disabled.

So buying a second Freesat viewing card (£20) wouldnt give Sky+ functionality (ie record to hard drive)?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
heystak:the_lhc:heystak:the_lhc:

Yes and no.

So buying a second Freesat viewing card (£20) wouldnt give Sky+ functionality (ie record to hard drive)?

Nope, you'd, at the very least, need to pay Sky £10/month for the Sky+ functionality and they'll probably say you need a minimum subscription, which is, I think about 17 quid, in which case you'd be better off just paying the multi-room fee, which is also £10/month I think.

Sky are many things, but they ain't daft...

daveh75

No, a FSFS(Freesat from Sky) card, just gives access to the few FTV(Free To View) channels,that although free,are encrypted so require a viewing card, like Five,Five USA,Five USA+1,Fiver,Fiver+1,Sky 3,Viva and 4HD.

The only way to retain the + facilites is to subcsribe to a package or pay Sky a stand alone £10 pcm fee for the + facilities...

TRENDING THREADS