upgrading to MARANTZ cd63? HELP wanted......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm thinking of replacing my CD player with a MARANTZ CD63 mkII and wondered what improvement I could get, if any, over my simple PHILIPS ???

my system: PHILIPS 753 > Cambridge A500 & P500 > MISSION M34

thanks
Mark

spr1ggsy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Why would you want to buy a 15 year old CD player???

The CD63 was an excellent player in its day but by now a majority of them will need new laser optics and spindle motors as a result of use. If you happen to know an engineer who has put in a new mech and totally refurbished one as new then fair enough, but they will be hard to find.

I used to get people trying to part ex CD63s, MKIIs, KI-signatures as well as CD67s in my old shop and a lot of them simply didnt work anymore. Bear in mind thatv was 6-7 years ago, so god knows what they are like now.

I recommend a newer marantz CD player (maybe a CD6004) as it will have the latest spec as well as a 2 yr warranty.

Good luck

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
afterimage said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little advice.

I'm thinking of replacing my CD player with a MARANTZ CD63 mkII and wondered what improvement I could get, if any, over my simple PHILIPS ???

my system: PHILIPS 753 > Cambridge A500 & P500 > MISSION M34

thanks
Mark

Even though CD63 MKII KI is a very good CDP I agree that this product has been in the market for about 20 years and unless you have some DIY knowledge to keep the machine running it will fail sooner or later. Though the stock CD63 is good at that price tag it may not be as good as new products nowadays due to advances in technology.

Having said that if you have some electronic knowledge you can carry out some modifications to the entire CDP which is not too difficult due to the CD63's layout and the availability of circuit diagrams. After modifications it can be a wonder CDP which is well beyond your expectations. You may wish to know that I have just modded a CD63 and you can look at this link on my final product:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86876386@N05/7956934984/in/photostream/

TBH I find this modded CDP is better than my £3000 Leema Antila II CDP. It produces very extended, tight and controlled bass, very analogue and warm vocals, good soundstaging, transparancy and separations. My ears have no fatigue at all on long time listening. I spent in total about £700 on the CD63 as well as on all the other electronic components.

You may also see my other thread in WHF on similar discussion: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-cd-63-good-for-dac?page=1#comment-2759095

Hope my information is useful for you to make a decision.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd still give one a listen to be honest.

Of course there's always a risk when buying second hand, but that's one reason why the average price for a 63 KI is less than £200.

I think if you compare it to a modern £200 CDP it will still kick the new one's ass.

I'd also like to hear it compared to a CD6004. I wouldn't like to bet money on the newer player 'winning'.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I'd still give one a listen to be honest.

Of course there's always a risk when buying second hand, but that's one reason why the average price for a 63 KI is less than £200.

I think if you compare it to a modern £200 CDP it will still kick the new one's ass.

I'd also like to hear it compared to a CD6004. I wouldn't like to bet money on the newer player 'winning'.

Yes, that is quite true. But a lot of people just cannot accept that a CDP of more than 15 years old can beat a modern product. That is why I don't want to start a debate here. Most people just believe new is better than old ;) For me I just trust my ears when choose my hifi system.

I am an old man and should young man do better than me. I still have doubt in my mind.

roy

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mark

I agree with all the responses to your request for help.

However, I have a few questions for you that may help with your final decision:

1) Is your current player (Philips 753) still playing cds?

2) Are you aware that the Philips 753 and Marantz CD4000 have almost identical internal components?

3) How handy are you with a soldering iron?

4) Are you also aware that your humble Philips 753, (with a few diy modifications) has the potential to outperform some newer players?

When you have answered these questions we will move on to the next step - to mod OR to buy?

roy

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mark

I agree with all the responses to your request for help.

However, I have a few questions for you that may help with your final decision:

1) Is your current player (Philips 753) still playing cds?

2) Are you aware that the Philips 753 and Marantz CD4000 have almost identical internal components?

3) How handy are you with a soldering iron?

4) Are you also aware that your humble Philips 753, (with a few diy modifications) has the potential to outperform some newer players?

When you have answered these questions we will move on to the next step - to mod OR to buy?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts