upgrading old hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I have an ageing seperates system that I built up from the late 80s to the earlier 90s.It consists of a rega/p2,creek 4040s2,marantz 50se cd player,nakamichi tape deck,rogers ls6a2 speakers biwired.I am thinking of upgrading the amp and cd player and wondered what sort of money I would have to spend to improve the sound.As things have come a long way since these were purchased i wondered if some of the stuff that places like richer sounds would be good.I can't afford to spend to much as kids and a mortgage have arrived since I was out buying this stuff.Any help would be appreciated thanks.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
TBH, the Creek was a cracking amp in it's day and the 50se was no slouch either, so I would probably say you are looking at around £300 each new to better them...maybe something like the Rotel RA04SE amp?

I think you'd be quite surprised about how well they compare with "budget" separates of today...

As for the Richer Sounds stuff, I would suggest that you'd be looking at the CA6xx range and above to make a worthwhile improvement, or the Marantz 6xxx range.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I think that you need to listen to the Creek in a direct comparison with new stuff on the market now, both with expensive and similar priced kit. You may be surprised at how good the Creek is...

I would expect that you have to go further than the suggested Rotel to make a significant upgrade.

May be worth spending proportionately more on the source than changing the amp and speakers.

idc

I agree that it sounds like a cracking system as it is. I would start off by giving it a mini service. Clean and check all contacts, plugs and cables. I helped a mate with his setup and we found that one cable had perished. You could also look to a bit of mains conditioning if you have not tried that before. You may have had a problem with mains noise all the time without realising it. You can get loads of different mains conditioners for under £50. have you got a rack and decent stands? Both make a difference. Then finally look at your room and speaker placement. Has it become compromised over the years?

If after all of the above you are still not happy with the sound, then start to look at components.It seems to me that many try and rectify background problems with a component change that is fruitless.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies.I have my system on a traget rack and speaker stands on spikes.I am thinking of changing my speaker cable which is some old linn k20.I am thinking of getting some qed silver annversary xt which I have on my surround kit.The linn cable is just a bit obtrusive now.I am also going to get the turntable serviced.Where is a good place for mains conditioners I have not considered these before.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts