Upgrading my Marantz based system

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Dear All

A couple of years ago I bought a basic system as follows: Marantz PM6004, CD6004 with Mission MX3 speakers. I also hooked up a Squeezebox Touch and Pro-ject Debut IIISE turntable. I have been very happy with it so far but I am now in a position to spend around 1000-1500gbP on upgrading however I am not sure where to spend that money getting the most bang for my buck.

I listen mainly to rock/post rock with some classic, jazz and ambient in a 50m2 living dining room with wooden floors and windows on 2 sides.

I have always felt that the speakers were the weak point and that I need a bit more oomph but I am not quite sure where to go so would appreciate your advice.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

I agree the speakers I would look to replace, also the amp, if you could stretch your budget slightly you could get some good amp/speakers for around £1,700-1,800, with discount probably not much above £1,500. In hifi I would make big steps upwards, well spaced apart. Speakers I think are a personal choice, best to hear many for yourself. One concern is your room, is it really 50 sm? If so you may want to look at floorstanders.

I agree with BigH about sticking with floorstanders, as your room can presumably absorb a bigger sound. You might be able to find something along the lines of B&Ws 683 S2 powered by an Arcam A19, which I think are around £1150 and £650 respectively. But if you liked the speakers, your Marantz would make a stab at driving them, and then you could step up to a £1000 plus amp at a later day.

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, I intend to stick with floor standers for aesthetic as well as performance reasons.

I had considered the B&W's but was concerned about the ability of the amp to drive them, if it can I would prefer to do the gradual upgrade improving the amp next year.

If the B&W's would be at the top end of what the amp can handle does anybody have any other recommendations or thoughts speaker wise.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
That's a really big room! I certainly think your current Marantz kit could drive better speakers. I used to have the Kef Q500s with that amplifier and they were excellent for classical music (my space is like yours, big with wooden floors and lots of windows). MA also make good speakers in your price range that your amp will drive. Find a friendly dealer and have a listen!

Chris

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Again thanks for your advice, I thought I should check my measurements just to be sure and indeed I was wrong my room is 54m2 !! (It is an open plan living/dining room).

I would certainly like to keep the amp for the moment so that I can upgrade that next year thus I am looking for speakers in that price range that can be driven by the current Marantz but will blossom under an amp upgrade in the next year or so. I don't listen at loud volumes but do want something with presence. I will try to check out the B&W, KEF and MA suggestions but am open to other ideas.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
prospero108 said:
Again thanks for your advice, I thought I should check my measurements just to be sure and indeed I was wrong my room is 54m2 !! (It is an open plan living/dining room).

I would certainly like to keep the amp for the moment so that I can upgrade that next year thus I am looking for speakers in that price range that can be driven by the current Marantz but will blossom under an amp upgrade in the next year or so. I don't listen at loud volumes but do want something with presence. I will try to check out the B&W, KEF and MA suggestions but am open to other ideas.

Floorstanders are generally easier to drive than bookstand speakers. Tannoys get good reviews so maybe worth hearing. Another brand to try are Neat, not sure if they will work with your Marantz though. I see
Tannoy Revolution DC6T are available now for £400

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I have found the following locally in my budget (or near enough) :

B&W 683S2

Dali Ikon 6 Mk2

Wharfedale Diamond 159

Monitor Bronze BX6

KeF Q500 or even the Q700

Appreciate your comments based on the criteria already stated.

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Bumping my own thread here as I am still in the same position as before (Christmas and kids needs got in the way). I have 1500 gbp to spend. I want to upgrade the speakers so that the current PM6004 can cope (just) but with a view to upgrading it later in the year. I don't want to upgrade both as I would have to compromise. Speakers first (as I recognise that they are the weak spot- then amp)

I am interested in the KEfQ900 as it would fit the bill upgrade wise but could my lowly PM6004 drive them ? As I said I don't listen at very loud volumes but I need to know I could live with them for a year until I upgrade the amp.

Your thoughts?

Chris

rainsoothe

nopiano said:
I agree with BigH about sticking with floorstanders, as your room can presumably absorb a bigger sound. You might be able to find something along the lines of B&Ws 683 S2 powered by an Arcam A19, which I think are around £1150 and £650 respectively. But if you liked the speakers, your Marantz would make a stab at driving them, and then you could step up to a £1000 plus amp at a later day.

+1 to this. Arcam A19 + B&W 683 s2. Or maybe Monitor Audio silver floorstanders.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It would definitely drive them - whether you'd get the best from them is another question but if you plan to upgrade the amp later, then another improvement would come then. Superfi has a set for 699 by the way!

ksoundwerx

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I was once in a similar position to yourself. I used to have a PM6004, and during it's ownership I upgraded my B&W 601s3 to 684 floorstanders. It sounded ok but I felt they had so much more to give, so quickly upgraded the amp to the more powerful PM7004 (and then later the Pearl Lite).

The difference between PM6004 and the extra power of the PM7004 was night and day. Suddenly the speakers brought the music to life - the extra power released depth and weight (which was graceful yet gutsy), that had been missing with the PM6004.

I would aim to upgrade the amplification at the same time (or very shortly after if that's the only way) if you are buying floorstanders, otherwise I feel the PM6004 will not do them justice, and you may find yourself dissappointed which is never a nice thing after buying equipment.

I was blown away by just how much extra weight and 'fullness of sound' floorstanders will deliver with the correct amplification. Or to phrase that another way with the benefit of retrospect... I can say I never realised how little potential is released from floorstanders when they are driven with inadequate amplification.

prospero108

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your advice guys, more welcome!!

The Super fi deal is for Rosewood only (I want black) and they have sold out!!

Just for future reference how would the Rega Elex-R pair with the KEF's?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
[/quote] was blown away by just how much extra weight and 'fullness of sound' floorstanders will deliver with the correct amplification. Or to phrase that another way with the benefit of retrospect... I can say I never realised how little potential is released from floorstanders when they are driven with inadequate amplification.

[/quote]

This fact cannot be emphasized enough..good post ☺

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts