Upgrading my cyrus amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
At the moment i have a cyrus cd8x and a 6vs amp running with spendor s6's.

Now i' m tempted to look at buying the new xp range of amp. Is this new offer from cyrus with their trade in discount worth a look?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Not heard them yet myself but if you want the added DAC option and you have the cash it might be well worth an audition. Alternatively, there are now massive bargains to be had on the 8vs2 and pre vs - with an X Power connected to one of those it might well blow away the new stand-alone integrated XP models and for similar money.

Alberta Cross - The Thief and the Heartbreaker

A

Anonymous

hi i have just added an 8 power to 8 vs but am having trouble wiring my speakers to get a good sopund any pointers please?

A

Anonymous

ok,

i have the 8vs2 r terminals running the top speaker r terminals and the 8 power r terminals running the the low speaker terminals and the same with the left channel.

sound particularly the vocals sound very flat

A

Anonymous

Try using the 8 power on the top speaker terminals. What speakers and cable are you using? Does it sound the same if you just use the 8 power to drive the speakers and use the 8vs2 as a pre amp?

A

Anonymous

Well i see plenty of discounted 8vs2 for around £550. But cyrus are offering upto 50% discount on trade ins. My thought is why do i need a dac though as surely you can put mp3 media onto disc. So this leaves the likes of the 8xp for £750 based on a retail of £1200 with trade in.

As to your comment on the power amp. I've only seen the 6P for around £500. Dunno if i could use my 6vs as a pre to save cash/or wether this would be better than a new 8xp.

A

Anonymous

yeah it seems to sound the same ive removed the jumpers also ....

A

Anonymous

hmmm right i have now set it up as the speakers running purely from the 8 power and have great sound from one channel....

A

Anonymous

what about the other channel? any sound at all?

Might be advisable to start a new thread as we're hijacking the OP's thread.

A

Anonymous

yes sorry about that will start another good luck with ur decision matey

A

Anonymous

I purchased a 6vs2 about 6 months ago and struggled with it after about one month.......it just sounds sooooo dull and lifeless.
Its almost as if its struggling with my setup, Ive had low end Denon amps that sounded better :-(

Have called Cyrus to see about upgrading to 8vs2 but the option is no longer available, bit rubbish really, yes I know there is an upgrade option for the new xp range but i really dont want to spend 900 quid!

What would I achieve with a 6 power adde to the equation?

A

Anonymous

Adding a 8 or X power on the bass could be a better option if its as if your system is almost struggling.

A

Anonymous

jakeblues68:

What would I achieve with a 6 power adde to the equation?

Not a great deal really, I'd go for an 8 power minimum and X power if you can afford it. Try Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield, they normally have some good deals on new and ex dem Cyrus kit.

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk

EDIT: What speakers are you driving?

A

Anonymous

Speakers = Tannoy M20 gold Mk2 (old i know but not many hours run)
Speaker cable = Chord Co Carnival Silver + (not bi-wired)
Inters = Chord Co Cobra 3
Mission PCM2 CD player (old again but working perfectly)
Panasonic BluRay

It sounds really lifeless with no guts, better sound from a 100 quid hifi from Comet :-(

A

Anonymous

Chatting to my local dealer it seems my problem may be due to using qed silver anniversary with my 6vs cd8x and spendor s6.

Is a good upgrade path to avoid the bargain for the new xp range and go with an 8vs2 and 6/8power?

TRENDING THREADS