Upgrading my Blu-Ray player

devo18uk1

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I currently own a Panasonic DMP-BD50 and I am looking to upgrade slightly. Only glitch being is money at the moment, as is the issue for a lot of people at the moment. So, I would look to upgrade, but on the basis that I get a decent return on the sale of the BD50.

What do you think I could upgrade to without having to pay in excess of approximately £100 on top of the sale. I appreciate this Blu-Ray was 1st generation, but it did retail at £550, and was given 5 stars, but I am also expecting to take a big hit on the sale of this.

Your thoughts?

A

Anonymous

I would wait for the 2010 ones to come out, they are around the corner.

Or when the 2010 come out, you will see some good discounts on the 2009.

Thats my 2 cents

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Why do you want to upgrade? Is it faulty?

Hold on to your money. Chances are you won't get much for it, I've found that the second hand market for 'mainstream' gear is a little depressed to say the least. I don't think that you would gain any real improvement in picture or sound for your proposed budget of £100 over what you get for it. As suggested above, wait for this years new models to come out and look at a good one from last year. The panny can always be boxed up as a spare.

devo18uk1

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Have the load times improved on the new players, as this player is very lethargic when it comes to loading Blu-Ray discs? Also, BD-Live is not working on this player for whatever reason.

devo18uk1:Have the load times improved on the new players, as this player is very lethargic when it comes to loading Blu-Ray discs? Also, BD-Live is not working on this player for whatever reason.

The newer 2010 players claim improved loading times. The Panasonic BD65 claims 14-seconds start-up time, while the flagship Panasonic DMP-BDT300 claims 0.5 sec ultra-fast booting.

BD-live is almost useless currently. Very few discs have anything useful online to access via the BD-live feature. I've never used it so far.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree BD live doesn't offer anything usefull, i never use it any interactive features don't interest me i just want to watch HD movies at it's best, and the PS3 has served me well. Again i think you need to spend at lest £400 to get a vast improvement over the budget players around at the moment, like the 760 and Denon 2500, but hopefully 2010 will improve on them at a cheaper price. I want an improvement in 2D on the new range not bothered about adding 3D, as long as they don't sacrifice 2D improvement for an added feature no one can use for a while.

A

Anonymous

I agree with you lobby - all I want is a great picture and super sound.

I have had my LX70A for a while now and paid £800 for it so unless someone could show me that replacing it would be a huge leap in quality, I am quite happy to wait a little for it to load some discs. I check for firmware updates regularly and I am always impressed with it's performance.

Cheers.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Devo,

I was ready to sell my Panny DMP-BD80. Grass is always greener......

However invest in a Digital Video Essentials BD disc (£15) and calibrate player to tv within an inch of its life and get a Thatcable HDMI lead(£5) which improved edge definition and movement so much on my Panny i would have been happy if i had recieved these improvements from a new £300 player.

If you're feeling really flush go for a Tacima Mains Conditioner (£30). I like many others got improved picture and greatly improved sound from Mains Conditioning.

£50 = big improvement and you can wait 6 months (if you think you still need a new player) and still gain the greatest benefit from the investment above.

Kind Regards,

Cookie Monster

TRENDING THREADS