Upgrading my AV receiver.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
I got a new AV receiver about 6 months ago. The Yamaha RXV667, whilst I am happy with it and it was a definite improvement on the NR1501 I had.
Still I wonder if it is really pushing my speakers to their potential and I do regret not going with the yam 1067 or above.

What I'm wondering is, if I now upgraded to the 1067, would this really just represent a relatively minor tweak ? Also I have a bit of a soft spot for Marantz, and the SR6005 has caught my eye a company called Simply Electronics has it for just £629 (surely this is too good to be true). For instance my regular dealer Peter Tyson has the Marantz at £799 and advertise a Price Match but doubt they could go to this. Perhaps one of you dealers could give an opinion on this. I have heard that Marantz don't support mail order.

I would dedicate up to £1000 on a new amp, I am loathe to change the speakers in my HC system as I am so sweet on the Monitor Audios.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Michael
After a bit of research found their address buried on their website. It's in Hong Kong, so not going that way. Bit sneaky really.

michael hoy

richardw42 said:
Hi all I got a new AV receiver about 6 months ago. The Yamaha RXV667, whilst I am happy with it and it was a definite improvement on the NR1501 I had. Still I wonder if it is really pushing my speakers to their potential and I do regret not going with the yam 1067 or above. What I'm wondering is, if I now upgraded to the 1067, would this really just represent a relatively minor tweak ? Also I have a bit of a soft spot for Marantz, and the SR6005 has caught my eye a company called Simply Electronics has it for just £629 (surely this is too good to be true). For instance my regular dealer Peter Tyson has the Marantz at £799 and advertise a Price Match but doubt they could go to this. Perhaps one of you dealers could give an opinion on this. I have heard that Marantz don't support mail order. I would dedicate up to £1000 on a new amp, I am loathe to change the speakers in my HC system as I am so sweet on the Monitor Audios.

A quick google will find you a 2067 for £800 or the 6005 for £690.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The difference would be in the way it sounded. As to whether it would be better is subjective to what kind of sound you like.

I would take your speakers and get Peter Tyson to demo the AV. Also they are good with prices they always give me incredible discounts :)

A

Anonymous

Richard, The Yamaha 667 really is a very good AV amplifier and for spending a thousand pounds you may not give you the satisfaction you require.

How about utilizing the Yamaha's Pre outs and demoing a stereo power amp to drive the front two speakers? It seems a shame to sell on the 667 after such a short time.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
duaplex said:
The difference would be in the way it sounded. As to whether it would be better is subjective to what kind of sound you like. I would take your speakers and get Peter Tyson to demo the AV. Also they are good with prices they always give me incredible discounts :)

Yea. Peter Tyson have really earned my business, as well as great discounts. Their after sales service is really impressive.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Limey said:
Richard, The Yamaha 667 really is a very good AV amplifier and for spending a thousand pounds you may not give you the satisfaction you require. How about utilizing the Yamaha's Pre outs and demoing a stereo power amp to drive the front two speakers? It seems a shame to sell on the 667 after such a short time.

My fear is that just going up to a 1067 isn't really going to pay off so sticking with the 667 might be the way, especially as humping round an RS 5.1 speaker set to dealers is not really do-able.

Re. The separate amp option might be something to consider. I actual have a spare Musical Fidelity XA2, that I could try. As it would involve a bit of messing does anyone have an opinion on using the MF in this way, before I try it for myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts