upgrading MF A5 to Sugden Masterclass , wise choice or not ???

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Sugden Masterclass Series are wonderful sounding Class A amps. I would probably have bought one, if any local dealers had stocked it.

I ended up with a MF AMS35i, which is also fantastic and is better than the Masterclass integrated, but so it should be, given the price.

My advice would be, that there should be a big enough improvement to warrant a demo. Only listen if you're prepared to commit, as this amp may well get under your skin. ;)

I'm a Class A junky (SS & Tube), so take this into consideration when reading the above. :)

A

Anonymous

thx for your input but i was meaning just the cd player . i should have mentioned it sorry
smiley-innocent.gif

I am already the very proud owner of masterclass pre/mono
smiley-cool.gif
so was wondering about full system of masterclas n would the cd beat MF a5 , what would i be lookin to expect in changes , as i do quite like the a5 BUT i have had a wee listen to a masterclass at the hifi show 2 yrs ago and it sounded v nice , warm which is the sound i like . The a5 is by no means a duff player i am very happy with it i just kno there are better to be had as i have heard a few so i'm afraid the upgrade bug got the better of me n i have spotted the masterclass (which dont often come on 2nd hand market ) reasonably cheap and they are willing to p/x a5
smiley-smile.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Preaching to the converted then.

Find it harder to advise on this one, except to say that I would expect the improvement/synergy/musicality would be worth it (subjective I know).

The only thing to consider, is whether spending considerable sums on a CD player, is the right way to go.

I was in your position not so long ago, and went the streaming route (Linn DS) and don't regret the decision. It's more future proof, handles 24 bit, is usually higher quality at a given budget and access/storage of your music couldn't be handier.

There is also a range of tube/nos dacs which can sound more analogue.

Good luck with your decision, and share any decision you may make.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts