upgrading fromm mmf 2.2 to planar 3 or rp6 questions

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a mmf 2.2 upgraded with better cables, ortofon blue, acrylic platter and leather matt. And want to upgrade but still have two questions that I cant answer.

1-Am I right to assume that the new planar 3 is just as good as the rp6 because of the better tonearm and all the enhencements?

2-Considering the upgrades on my turntable should I go further up the rega line (rp8) to make the upgrade worthwile ?

I'd like some wise advises with that upgrade. Thanks !

Rest of the system : naim superuniti with a park audio budgie tube preamp and proacs 148.

pyrrhon said:
Hi,

I currently have a mmf 2.2 upgraded with better cables, ortofon blue, acrylic platter and leather matt. And want to upgrade but still have two questions that I cant answer.

1-Am I right to assume that the new planar 3 is just as good as the rp6 because of the better tonearm and all the enhencements?

2-Considering the upgrades on my turntable should I go further up the rega line (rp8) to make the upgrade worthwile ?

Rest of the system : naim superuniti with a park audio budgie tube preamp and proacs 148.

That's very difficult to answer as I don't hear things identically to you. I have no idea what the upgrades on your current turntable have actually done. Regarding the Planar 3 I would say possibly it comes close.

Going further up the Rega line might be a backward step financially if you are going to end up using a relatively cheap cartridge on it. Upgrading your turntable might have added to its initial performance but I don't know that or indeed how it would compare to anything else as it currently stands. Only you can determine that.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
pyrrhon said:
Hi,

I don't think it will be as good as the the RP6 but I have not heard the RP6. Why just look at Rega, in that price range there are plenty of other great TTs? The tonearm is good apart from the wiring, can have it rewired but not cheap and filled with foam.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

My first post in a while. First I want to let you know that I upgraded my turntable mmf 2.2 with acrylic platter leather matt and ortofon blue to a planar 3 and elys 2.

Inital impression was a bit more mid range details and bass. I was happy but not much. The gain was very small.

After 2 weeks of everyday listening I felt there was something lacking, the bass notes were a but fuzzy and it lacked sparkle. Thats when I tought I could try my ortofon 2m blue. So I put on 3 washers to raise the arm, bought a 1.3 mm allen key to raise the cue lever higher aligned the cartridge and plugged it in back in.

So how do I feel now about the switch to 2m blue from elys 2 on the planar 3? With my system its definitively much better. Shivers with my favorites vinyls came back. Thats for the non analytical but if I turn analytical I can get lots more sparkle and detail in the highs, I can ear the bass more tunefull and true.

Other things to note is that my phono preamp has exacta load setting for the cartridge. The orotofon 2m actually reacts way more to different loadings while the elys sounded pretty much the same across all loadings. That leads me to say that the ortofon is harder to match with phono preamp then rega elys.

But all in all the ortofon is simply in my opinion a big step up from the elys. More revealing, tunefull and airy.

The planar 3 is much better then the music hall thats for sure but the ortofon is also much better then elys so my upgrade was not satisfying untill the 2m blue came in.

Please note its with my ears, my system in my room! But despite that im pretty confident about my conclusions. Hope it helps.

pyrrhon said:
Hi folks,

My first post in a while. First I want to let you know that I upgraded my turntable mmf 2.2 with acrylic platter leather matt and ortofon blue to a planar 3 and elys 2.

Inital impression was a bit more mid range details and bass. I was happy but not much. The gain was very small.

After 2 weeks of everyday listening I felt there was something lacking, the bass notes were a but fuzzy and it lacked sparkle. Thats when I tought I could try my ortofon 2m blue. So I put on 3 washers to raise the arm, bought a 1.3 mm allen key to raise the cue lever higher aligned the cartridge and plugged it in back in.

So how do I feel now about the switch to 2m blue from elys 2 on the planar 3? With my system its definitively much better. Shivers with my favorites vinyls came back. Thats for the non analytical but if I turn analytical I can get lots more sparkle and detail in the highs, I can ear the bass more tunefull and true.

Other things to note is that my phono preamp has exacta load setting for the cartridge. The orotofon 2m actually reacts way more to different loadings while the elys sounded pretty much the same across all loadings. That leads me to say that the ortofon is harder to match with phono preamp then rega elys.

But all in all the ortofon is simply in my opinion a big step up from the elys. More revealing, tunefull and airy.

The planar 3 is much better then the music hall thats for sure but the ortofon is also much better then elys so my upgrade was not satisfying untill the 2m blue came in.

Please note its with my ears, my system in my room! But despite that im pretty confident about my conclusions. Hope it helps.

Glad to hear that although, to my mind, your move of turntables was probably a sideways step however glad you like the Rega.

I am not surprised you are getting a lot more out of the Ortofon 2M Blue as you are now using a cartridge that retails at around £175 and comparing it to Regas' standard-fit (in most cases) Elys 2 which retails at £85. Hardly a fair comparison surely.

I think if I owned a cartridge that cost double the price of my current one then I'd expect to hear an improvement to ;-)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
the new Planar 3 with a TT PSU is pretty close to an RP6 - however the build quality is better on the RP6 IMO. Yes I have heard these both side by side with Exact cartridges on both decks.

The RP8 has better bass than the RP6 and personally If i were getting a Rega Deck again I would go for an RP8.

For £1598 though you can get a better deck IMO - Clearaudio, Analogue Works, Michell

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
pyrrhon said:
Hi folks,

Glad to hear that although, to my mind, your move of turntables was probably a sideways step however glad you like the Rega.

I am not surprised you are getting a lot more out of the Ortofon 2M Blue as you are now using a cartridge that retails at around £175 and comparing it to Regas' standard-fit (in most cases) Elys 2 which retails at £85. Hardly a fair comparison surely.

I think if I owned a cartridge that cost double the price of my current one then I'd expect to hear an improvement to ;-)

Prices in america are different, an elys 2 at needle doctor is 295$ while the 2m blue is 235$ us dollar. Thats a bit misleading.

pyrrhon said:
Al ears said:
pyrrhon said:
Hi folks,

Prices in america are different, an elys 2 at needle doctor is 295$ while the 2m blue is 235$ us dollar. Thats a bit misleading.

Yoy are right. Did not know you where in the States. That is some price difference on the Rega cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts